Comprehensive course analysis
Who should attend
The participants are selected from a range of professional backgrounds, across various industries and sectors. From international organisations and associations to small owned-companies and consultancies, the Accelerated Management Programme (AMP) attracts high-potential employees who have been recently appointed as managers as well as experienced professionals who are transitioning from a technical role (ex: engineering, IT) or staff position to a more supervisory or managerial role.
Key admissions criteria
- Hold a university degree
- Be proficient in English
- A minimum of 2 years of professional experience
About the course
The Accelerated Management Programme (AMP) comprises 18 days - spread over 6 months - of intensive general management training for working professionals with no previous training in management.
It provides a broad-based, practical introduction to the main concepts and practices of management, combined with practical insight that is ready to be applied directly to the workplace.
Your benefits Individual
- Deep transversal knowledge Develop a deep understanding of major business concepts and acquire essential practical and theoretical management skills.
- A personal development plan Create a personal development plan to help you focus on your career vision, values and personal growth in order to make sounder career decisions.
- An expanded business network Build and maintain your future long-term professional connections.
Your benefits Collective
- A new set of management skills Help your company apply our proposed strategic frameworks and tools to achieve your long-term objectives.
- Improved leadership acumen Learn to respond to the current market’s challenges while driving innovation and optimizing organizational change.
- The ability to dialogue Master the cross-functional management principles and gain a clear overview of the organizational challenges in several key functional areas.
MODULE 1 LEADERSHIP & SELF-ASSESSMENT
The Accelerated Management Programme provides you with fundamentals and core skills in 6 key areas of management:
The most powerful form of leadership is where the leader brings out the best in others and puts it to good use. Because leadership is a relationship (not simply a personal skill or talent), you are encouraged to embrace self-awareness and a whole range of personal, interpersonal and team skills that you can learn, develop and practice to become a better leader.
- Learn to successfully manage an increasingly diverse and complex workforce;
- Gain a clear view of group dynamics and processes of influence, conflict, motivation and decision-making;
- Master the basics of human behaviour at work.
You develop a Personal Business Plan (PBP). You then have the opportunity to meet with a faculty coach for a 1-on-1 feedback session, which will challenge your thinking and help you clarify your intention regarding your leadership development.
Instructor: Susan West
MODULE 2 ACCOUNTING
Accounting cuts across all functions in an organisation. Whether you are a manager in strategy, operations, marketing, or human resources, you will use accounting information to prepare a budget, assess the profitability of a product, service, or customer, assess the success of a marketing or recruitment campaign, and evaluate the performance of your department, your company and your competitors. This is not a course for accountants, but for future managers who will need to analyse and interpret accounting information as part of their job.
- Acquire the key accounting tools you need to understand, interpret and analyse accounting information, prepare a budget and evaluate performance.
- Differentiate between Financial Accounting and Managerial Accounting.
- Understand accounting jargon.
The assessment is based on a written exam.
Instructor: Jean-Philippe Michaux
MODULE 3 FINANCE
Corporations face two main types of decisions: capital budgeting decisions (how much to invest and in which real assets to invest) and financing decisions (which securities to issue in order to raise the funds required). This course deals primarily with valuation and capital budgeting decisions.
- Master the basic concepts and tools of financial management.
- Apply new knowledge in practical situations when faced with investment decisions.
- Integrate financial management concepts into your decision-making process.
- Learn how to go beyond accounting figures to show your unit’s real economic performance and potential.
- Improve communication with financial managers within your organisation and learn how to ask the right questions.
The assessment is based on a written exam andthe development of a financial plan by groups of 3-4 participants.
Instructor: Mathias Schmit
MODULE 4 MARKETING
This integrative course brings together the marketing activities of creating, capturing, and sustaining customer value in a variety of marketing contexts. Re-thinking "The 4 Ps", you will be exposed to the most recent theories and methods, analytical techniques, and current best practices for developing marketing strategies.
- Think strategically about marketing.
- Use key frameworks and tools to analyse situations and make decisions.
- Understand how to develop and execute an appropriate marketing strategy.
The assessment is based on group discussions, case study analysis and a final presentation.
Instructor: Sandra Rothenberger
MODULE 5 STRATEGIC MANAGEMENT
We develop analytical tools and models and discuss the underlying theories and their frameworks through a combination of case studies, lecture/discussions and reading materials. You will develop a view of strategic management that helps you identify the fundamental determinants of success in different business environments as well as the conditions for, and paths to, creating and capturing value in today’s competitive environment.
- Review key aspects, schools of thought, and concepts of strategic management.
- Think strategically and look at markets / clients / sector / competitors and your own organisation from a strategic perspective.
- Learn what ‘managing strategically’ means − based on external case discussions, group work and your own examples.
The assessment is based on a case-based group assignment.
Instructor: Jean-Pierre Bizet
MODULE 6 PROJECT MANAGEMENT
This course provides a structured setting in which you become familiar with the most important ideas in project management and learn how to apply these concepts to your personal working needs and those of your organisation.
- Master key project management principles and methodologies.
- Learn how to implement project management techniques, such as project scoping and estimating.
The assessment is based on a group final case presentation and classroom participation.
Instructor: Frederic Hoffmann
Mathias Schmit has a PhD in Finance from the Solvay Brussels School of Economics and Management (Brussels), where he is a Professor of Finance and conducts research into banking and microfinance at the Centre Emile Bernheim (a Solvay Brussels School Research Centre). He is regularly invited at IN...
Susan West, Managing Director - SJ West Leadership Consulting Susan West is Managing Director at SJ West Leadership Consulting, a Brussels-based coaching and development firm. She is an executive coach who brings a wealth of business experience and leadership insights to help individuals and tea...
Jean-Pierre Bizet is currently: Partner at New Science Ventures LLC, a New-York based Venture Capital firm which invests in companies using novel scientific approaches in the life sciences and information technology sectors worldwide Non-executive board member of several companies and non-profit...
With more than 20 years business experience, including 12 years of consulting, Frederic acquired a broad expertise in Project & Portfolio Management (PPM) by implementing PPM best practices, methods & tools for major international private & public institutions. He is now part of the T...
Active since 2001 in the scientific and academic fields Focus on Strategic Marketing, mainly in the areas of Strategic Pricing and Consumer Behavior International research network and teaching background Chair of the Strategic Marketing, Management and Innovation Department at the Solvay Bruss...
I am Full Professor at the Solvay Brussels School of Economics and Management at ULB. As holder of the Solvay SA chair of Innovation I teach and perform research in the field of innovation and intellectual property. I have been Dean of the Solvay Brussels School for 6 years and a half, from April...
Jean-Philippe Michaux is currently the CFO (Group Director of Finance, ICT & Legal affairs) at Puratos Group. He previously held the positions of Group Controller and Group Internal Audit Director within the same company. Prior to this, he was Senior Manager at PricewaterhouseCoopers, special...
Videos and materials
Read more about Business Analytics
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.