Comprehensive course analysis
Who should attend
If you are a manager or an expert who wants to master complexity and understand cross-functional issues in the pharma or biotech industry, this programme is for you.
About the course
The COVID-19 pandemic has thrown into question many accepted assumptions about how life sciences companies operate, from supply chain to clinical development to customer-facing functions.
More than ever before, the dynamics and fast-paced changes in the new healthcare environment require cross-functional experts who go beyond silo thinking and can apply agile solutions to complex issues.
This programme is based on the key areas of a traditional MBA that have been rethought and tailored to today's life sciences industry. It provides you with the intellectual capital needed to excel as a high-performance manager in this fast-moving industry.
The healthcare industry is undergoing rapid and unparalleled change. Price pressure, increasing oversight from regulators, generics and biosimilars, ethical concerns, emerging markets, the rise of information technology (Big Data, AI, social media and digital communication channels) and changing customer expectations are just some of the issues that managers in pharma and life sciences have to confront. These and other drivers not only have an impact on your business strategy, but also challenge the existing processes, organizational structures and roles/skills in your organization. This programme will help you address these issues from the multiple perspectives of your business to support you in your current and future roles.
How will you benefit?
After participating in this programme, you will grow your understanding of the pharma/biotech industry, develop your management business skills & competencies and be able to:
- Translate changes in the healthcare environment into competitive strategies for sustainable growth
- Understand business areas you are not yet familiar with, and their role in your company's value chain
- Be more effective in understanding broader financial and strategic issues
- Support strategic goals from top management and implement them faster and more efficiently
- Align your team or group to concentrate on customer value through cross-functional improvements
During the programme you will:
- Network and learn with a diverse group of peers from different companies and countries
- Develop a personalized action plan that you will take back with you to your job
- Learn and practise these new skills using case studies, real examples and role plays over 5 interactive and challenging days
What will you learn and practice?
The MCE “5-Day Mini MBA for the Pharma and Biotech Industry (Post-Pandemic Edition)” is a 5-days hands-on training programme, highly interactive with exercises and role plays. The programme will be led by an experienced facilitator with former management experience in international companies. It shows how successful businesses are run from an all-round perspective – financial, strategic and marketing – provides insights into strategic imperatives for the new healthcare environment and how managers can effectively align their teams to execute the strategy of their company.
Module 1: The Big Picture
- Environment & Mega Trends
- The Healthcare Market Landscape (Pharma, Medical Devices and Diagnostics)
- The Life Sciences Value Chain
- Key Strategies & New Business Models
Module 2: Strategy Development & Strategic Leadership in Pharma
- Essentials of Strategy : Competitive Analysis, Vision and Objective Setting, Resource Allocation and Priorization
- Agility in a VUCA World
- Change Management
- Leadership in Time of Crisis
Module 3: Building the Value Proposition
- Stakeholders Mapping and Value Mapping
- From R&D to Market Authorization to Supply Chain: Creating Value (Strategic Product Development and Innovative Distribution models)
- Market Access & Health Economics : Measuring Value
- Medical Affairs: Integrating Value (Therapeutic Expertise, RWE, Upgrading Clinical Decision-Making)
- Marketing : Communicating Value (Competitive Positioning and Messaging, Customer Engagement, Marketing Mix: from 4 P’s to 4C’s)
Module 4: Marketing Excellence in Pharma
- Applying Design Thinking to Customer-Centric Strategies
- Objectives and brand vision, Product Positioning
- Marketing Plans driven by Key Issues
- Marketing Mix: From Operational Strategies to Multichannel Tactics
- Execution Discipline & Alignments of Customer-Facing Functions
- Key Metrics to track successful execution and monitor outcomes, Launch Excellence
Module 5: Finance
- The Roles of Accounting & Finance : External (Reporting/Fiscal) and Internal (Business) Management
- Key Accounting Principles & Concepts
- Reading Financial Statements
- Financial Analysis & Valuation (NPV, IRR)
- The Business Plan: Resource Allocation and Forecasting
Currently Jacques is coach, facilitator and consultant in strategy, leadership, sales and change projects. 2004-2013: BT Global Services, COO Global Contracts Delivery. For this Telecom and ICT services company, based in London, Jacques managed an operational budget of €150M in labour costs acros...
Prior to joining “Harlan” (2004-2010) and for 22 years, Damien held senior management positions as Manager Financial Controls, CFO, Deputy General Manager and General Manager in companies across several industries (construction, telecommunications, energy, life sciences). These companies were mai...
Pascal Gand has acquired over the last thirty years a deep expertise in the Sales and Marketing field and management with market leading Medical Device companies such as Hewlett-Packard Medical Product Group, Agilent Technologies, Philips Medical Systems, GE Healthcare, Welch Allyn and Hill-Rom. ...
Abdalla, A results-focused strategist with 20+ years of expertise in spearheading award-winning & marketing planning, sales acceleration, and business development initiatives, with special focus on successfully building winning strategies, prioritizing a high-performance culture, and launchin...
Videos and materials
Read more about Business Analytics
Read more about Digital Transformation
Read more about General Management Programs
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.