Who should attend
Those interested in crafting personal essays and getting them published.
About the course
What is a personal essay, and how do you write one in a way that engages your reader? In this course, you’ll learn the careful art of crafting a compelling personal essay.
We’ll work our way through each essential phase of the process: generating topic ideas, developing a first draft, workshopping in class, revising and editing, and submitting for publication. Together we’ll explore the thriving market for personal essays and analyze the various outlets for your writing. Guest speakers from online and print publications will offer strategies and insider tips for pitching and submitting your work.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN
- How to shape a basic concept into a viable essay subject
- Effective types of essay structures
- How to collect and apply feedback in the revision process
- Ways to foster relationships with editors and pitch your work to publications
- Techniques for navigating the process of selling and promoting your work
GET HANDS-ON EXPERIENCE
- Develop a solid draft of your personal essay
- Craft a pitch letter that you can send to editors and publishers
Kristen Millares Young is the author of the novel Subduction, a Paris Review staff pick called “whip-smart” by the Washington Post and “a brilliant debut” by the Seattle Times. Subduction was a finalist for two International Latino Book Awards in 2020. As editor of Seismic: Seattle, City of Liter...
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.