Who should attend
Anyone who wants to improve their email writing efficiency and effectiveness.
About the course
Write emails more efficiently to engage busy readers
A key challenge for busy professionals today is the number of emails they need to read and respond to. This reality demands new skills for writing a greater volume of emails more efficiently and effectively.
This program is designed to increase your speed, proficiency and impact when writing emails to diverse readers. Engage busy readers with a compelling subject line, clear messaging, concise format and precise wording. Get tips for writing emails conveying routine requests, bad news and goodwill. Apply a variety of methods to fine-tune your email writing process and to enhance your professional image as an effective communicator.
Online program format
This one-day program includes facilitator-led online sessions in real time, with ample breaks provided. The interactive format includes polls, chats, discussions and group activities in virtual breakout rooms. You’ll also get hands-on practice with individual editing and collaborative team writing exercises to help you improve your efficiency when assessing, editing and revising emails.
Benefits for you
- Think about your message from a reader’s perspective
- Self-manage negative writing habits
- Make better use of the subject line to motivate readers
- Improve the tone of your writing to build relationships with your readers
- Open and close emails in consistent and compelling ways
- Help diverse audiences read faster and with less confusion
- Make the most of your time to plan, write and polish emails that convey a professional image
Module 1: What Makes Busy People Read an Email
- Why people read some emails to the end, and not others
- What motivates them to respond more quickly
Module 2: Adopting Efficient Writing Habits
- Planning the message with a clear focus in mind
- When to edit and when to write freely
- Including relevant details and avoiding irrelevant ones
- Switching from a writer-focused to a reader-focused mindset
Module 3: Applying Current Best Practices
- Writing a compelling subject line
- Reducing email length and formatting for faster reading
- Choosing clear, concise and consistent wording
- Achieving a positive intent and tone
Module 4: Organizing Emails Faster
- Planning tips to save time when organizing your message
- Formulas for routine requests, bad news and goodwill messaging
Module 5: Adding Professional Polish
- Common grammar and usage mistakes and solutions
- Editing guidelines and tips
- Checklist for proofreading efficiently
The interactive format offers techniques, hands-on practice, group discussion and constructive feedback from the program leader. You’ll also receive tips and tools to help you plan, write and revise emails more efficiently.
Gail Levitt, president of Levitt Communications Inc., is an influential leadership facilitator, coach and mentor with a unique approach that engages and inspires participants to learn and apply both theory and practice for peak performance. Gail offers a wide range of influential leadership topic...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.