Who should attend
This course is intended primarily for unit supervisors and early career engineers responsible for the operation of wastewater treatment systems in the petroleum refining and petrochemical industries.
About the course
This course will provide an overview of wastewater treatment technology fundamentals and operating principles as applied in the petroleum refining and petrochemical industries. Topics to be covered include wastewater characterization, oil/water/solids separation, fundamentals of aerobic biological treatment, the activated sludge process and its modifications, secondary clarification, and residuals management (bio solids, oily sludge, and VOC emissions). Practical guidance will be presented on design and operating criteria for these unit operations in an industrial setting. Suggested WWTP troubleshooting/optimization checklists will be provided for each major unit operation as part of the course notes.
Upon successful completion of this course, the delegates will be able to:
- Participants will be provided with theoretical and practical tools that will allow them to more knowledgably operate, monitor, troubleshoot, and optimize WWTPs at refineries and petrochemical plants
- Wastewater Characterization
- Primary Oil/Water/Solids Separation
### Day 2
- Hands-On Interactive Demonstrations of WWTP Process Control Tests Will be Offered
- Secondary Oil/Water/Solids Separation
- Fundamental Concepts of Aerobic Biological Treatment
- Control and Optimization of the Activated Sludge Process
### Day 4
- Activated Sludge Process Modifications
- Control and Optimization of Secondary Clarifiers
- Best Practices for Managing Refinery and Petrochemical Plant WWTP Residuals: Bio solids, Oily Sludge’s and VOC Emissions
- Panel Discussion/Wrap-Up
A variety of methodologies will be used during the course that includes:
- (30%) Based on Case Studies
- (30%) Techniques
- (30%) Role Play
- (10%) Concepts
- Pre-test and Post-test
- Variety of Learning Methods
- Case Studies and Self Questionaires
- Group Work
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.