Comprehensive course analysis
Who should attend
The program is designed for all the leaders whose teams are occasionally or continuously working from a distance, whether due to remote work opportunities or being geographically at a distance.
The Virtual Leadership program takes a broad scope in today’s leadership. It focuses mainly on the challenges of a leader in terms of building a coherent team and a trustworthy environment when the teams are not physically together.
About the course
The shift from traditional face-to-face leadership to the need of virtual leadership has been faster and more powerful than anyone could expect. Remote work is here to stay, as more and more companies – employers and employees – have had a chance to explore the positive aspects of it.
When your team is working remotely, and from a distance, your leadership needs to adapt. The key is always proper people management, whether through traditional or virtual leadership. The elements to consider are just a little different. How do you, as a leader, create confidence and influence to successfully lead your team virtually? Do you need inspiration and examples of how to make your team perform when communication is mostly virtual?
The more productive you, as a leader, are at leading virtual teams, the more you can take advantage of the benefits of virtual teams to your organization and remote work possibilities.
The Virtual Leadership program approaches the topical theme of leadership with a practical touch based on academic research. It is designed for leaders who are leading their teams from a distance, now and in the future. The program offers the big picture of current trends in leadership, focusing on virtual leadership and its success.
In the program, you can take a more in-depth look into:
- Leadership in the digital age
- Virtual leadership as a service role
- Leading virtual teams, also global
- Building trust and nurturing harmony virtually
- Intervention strategies for conflicts and low performance
Virtual Leadership program offers a combination of academic research and practical tools and examples to better lead in the virtual environment. Through the program, leaders can grow as virtual leaders, find their own and team strengths on which to build excellent team performance. By participating in the program, you can ensure that your team has the best grounds for successful work, and you have the best tools to lead.
- Be ready to lead in the digital age
- Boost your leadership skills to lead in the era of change and transformation
- Gain insight into academic research behind successful virtual leadership
- Get tools for creating trust and harmony among virtual teams
- Share and interact with other virtual leaders
Contents and Schedule
The program is a practical online training with strong academic background. It includes exercises and opportunities for interaction and sharing among participants.
Leading in the Digital Age
THE EMERGING TREND IN LEADERSHIP: BALANCING BETWEEN EXTREMES
- Virtual work as an intensifier of tensions
- Emotional intelligence and mindset in the digital age
- Self-awareness as a foundation of virtual leadership
VIRTUAL LEADERSHIP AS A SERVICE ROLE
- Understanding different personalities in the team
- Leading diversity
- Positive and negative work spillover and employee reactions dies
Leading Virtual Teams
LEADING VIRTUAL TEAMS
- Leading teams: Goal setting, roles, and processes
- Communication media, norms, and practices
- Leading effective virtual meetings
- Use of technology
- Managing your own and team members' well-being
LEADING GLOBAL VIRTUAL TEAMS
- Leading teams across borders, time zones, and cultures
- Navigating the expectations for different leadership styles across borders
- Power and norms in global collaboration
- Building thriving cultures in global virtual teams
Building Trust and Nurturing Harmony Virtually
BUILDING TRUST AND NURTURING HARMONY VIRTUALLY
- Team structure
- Motivating and engaging team members
- Team climate and psychological safety
- Setting up targeted feedback practices
- Root causes, anatomy, and escalation of conflicts in virtual work
- Virtual leader roles, responsibilities and means of maintaining harmony
- Intervention strategies for early prevention in disputes and low performance
Dr., Docent Pia Lappalainen is specialized in performance management and productivity, managerial communication, conflict resolution and management, and workplace well-being. She is also an experienced management coach and facilitator and a professional conflict mediator of workplace disputes. ...
Professor Niina Nurmi is a seasoned trainer on the topic of virtual working and leadership. She has researched virtual work and leading virtual teams for over 15 years. Her research addresses work design and management of global virtual collaborations: Situations in which knowledge workers are at...
Videos and materials
Read more about Information Technology
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.