Who should attend
This course is suitable for anyone who wants to understand more about intellectual property and learn the principles of copyright for their promotional video content such as ads, promos, vlog posts, trailers or interviews.
About the course
The skills needed to create, commission, edit and distribute film and video content are essential in allowing you to capitalise on film as a key communication tool. The BFI and CIM have partnered to enhance the film and video capability of marketing professionals, recognising the breadth of skills required of modern marketers.
This course has been designed to equip marketers with a robust knowledge of the key copyright practices necessary to safely distribute and capitalise on their promotional video content.
With a focus on permissions and distribution of video content, you will learn about why storage, captioning and metadata are all vital considerations when it comes to your content and your business needs. You’ll also learn the requirements, advantages and disadvantages of different platforms so that you can strike the perfect balance when distributing your content.
The course will enable you to understand the key issues surrounding copyright including common challenges surrounding copyright including content protection, exceptions and insurance as you are taken through case studies and given the opportunity to share experience from your own projects.
The course will help you understand legal issues around IP and offer useful templates for common legal documentation including contracts and license statements.
- Gain understanding of key principles regarding ownership of moving image content
- Gain understanding of the processes linking production, distribution, circulation and consumption of the moving image
- Discover the advantages and disadvantages of different distribution platforms
- Learn the key principles of copyright and gain insight into common issues and documentation
- Understand copyright duration, types of copyright works, licensing of works, as well as available copyright exceptions
- Learn how to protect and capitalise on your IP
- Access a range of different rights templates and models that you can use for your own or commissioned content
Claudy is Programme Leader of the BA (Hons) in Film at Bournemouth University, where she is also a faculty member of the Centre for Intellectual Property Policy and Management. Her practical background is in film preservation with a particular focus on IP issues to accessing archival collections....
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.