School of Hotel Administration
Using Ratio Analysis to Evaluate Financial Performance
Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with School of Hotel Administration.Full disclaimer.
About the course
The ability of an organization to analyze its financial position is essential for improving its competitive position in the marketplace. Through a careful analysis of its financial performance, the organization can identify opportunities to improve performance at the department, unit, or organizational level.
In this course, participants will learn to use several ratio analysis instruments to achieve a comprehensive understanding of a firm's financial performance. The course then addresses how this financial health information can be used as a foundation upon which to design and implement initiatives for increased productivity and profitability.
Participants who complete this course will be able to…
- Use ratio analysis to identify areas of strong financial performance and those that need improvement
- Accurately assess the financial performance of a department, unit, or organization relative to its competitors or to its own past performance
Module 1- Asset Management Ratios
- Introduction to Ratio Analysis
- Ratio Types
- Overview of Asset Management Ratios
Module 2 - The Cash Conversion Cycle
- Calculate Days Sales in Inventory (DSI)
- Caculate Days Sales Outstanding (DSO)
- Calculate Days Payable Outstanding (DPO)
- Cash Cycle Comparisons
Module 3 - Fixed Asset Ratios
- Calculate Fixed Asset Turnover
- Calculate Total Asset Turnover
Module 4 - Solvency and Capital Structure Ratios
- Calculate the Current and Quick Ratios
- Calculate the Times Interest Earned (TIE) Ratio
- Calculate the Book Leverage, Debt-Equity and Equity Multiplier Ratios
Module 5 - Profitability Ratios and Dupont Analysis
- Explore Profitability Ratios
- Calculate the Gross Profit, Operating Profit and Net Profit Margins
- Calculate the Return on Assets (ROA) and Return on Equity (ROE)
- Profitability Ratios Assessment
Module 6 - Final Course Assignments
- Verify Discussion Participation
- Course Project, Find the Relevance
Who should attend
This course is necessary for all professionals who deal with financial reports and need to understand how the data can be analyzed to accurately assess their organization's financial strength.
This course requires student knowledge of financial statements. If you are unfamiliar with financial statements, we recommend completing Understanding Financial Statements (HAME513) prior to enrolling in this course.
Trust the experts
Dr. Steven Carvell, a professor of finance at the School of Hotel Administration, has 30+ years of extensive service at the School and University including: Associate Dean of Academic Affairs, Academic Director of the Pillsbury Institute of Entrepreneurship, and the Cornell University Internation...
Scott Gibson is the J.E. Zollinger Professor of Finance at the College of William and Mary Mason School of Business. His current research interests include optimal financing strategies for hospitality firms and the effect of institutional investor trading behavior on securities prices. His resear...