Using Power Effectively – A Toolkit for Leaders
Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with Harvard DCE.Full disclaimer.
It is important to understand and exercise power in order to lead effectively. Led by an expert in power dynamics and negotiation, this program is designed to help leaders analyze and leverage interpersonal and structural power dynamics within an organization.
In an interactive and inclusive learning environment, you’ll explore your own relationship with power, including how to build and leverage it, both responsibly and successfully. Expand your understanding of power by drawing on applied insights from theoretical frameworks, and become more adept at handling situations where power can be easily misused.
- Explore your personal relationship with power, and how you can use it to influence favorable outcomes for yourself and others
- Learn how to acquire power and attain support from your network
- Build a toolkit that helps you become more influential in your workplace, including a “power portfolio” of video and slide content
- Learn how to use power with purpose—even without formal authority
- Engage in role-play exercises and guided self-reflection to deepen learning
- Earn a Certificate of Participation from the Harvard University Division of Continuing Education.
- Power—its role, limitations, and theories behind it
- Gaining and using power responsibly
- Diagnosing structural “power currency” in organizations
- Positional vs. earned authority
- Collaborative approaches compared to power moves in leadership
Who should attend
Senior and mid-level managers who want to deepen their understanding of what power is and how to use it in an accountable fashion. Additionally, those who want to improve their ability to coach others will find this program highly relevant. Participants must be prepared to engage in class discussions and role-playing exercises.