About the course
Based on the manifesto of philanthropy written by Robert Payton and Dr. Michael Moody, this course examines the unique influence and impact of philanthropy as “voluntary action for the public good,” including the voluntary action of charitable giving that is at the heart of fundraising.
After completion of this course, the participant will:
1) Understand and describe philanthropy as an element of the human condition 2) Identify the values and motivations that inform their work as effective leaders in the philanthropic sector 3) Articulate personal definitions of and perspectives on the role, meaning and capacity of philanthropy in their professional and personal lives 4) Apply psychological and economic theories to inform fundraising objectives in their organizations
Pre-Reading: “The Eight Myths of Philanthropy,” Stanford Social Innovation Review
8:30am: What is philanthropy?
- Participant Introductions & Expectations
- Course Objectives
- Defining philanthropy
10:15am: Philanthropy and society
- Size, scope and impact of the nonprofit sector
- Addressing common misconceptions of the sector
- Forms of philanthropy - formal, informal, voluntary associations
1:00pm: Roles of philanthropy
- Roles of philanthropy in society
- Voluntary associations as ways to connect
- Physical and psychological benefits of giving
3:15pm: Voluntary association as a form of philanthropy
- Voluntary associations in American history
- The role of association in our organizations
4:45pm: Summarize and conclude
8:30: Motivations for giving
- Philanthropic motivations
- Theories of giving
- Application for donor engagement
10:15 am: Understanding ourselves as philanthropists
- What does it mean to be a philanthropist?
- Identifying our philanthropic values
- Philanthropic Autobiography
1:00 pm: The fundraising profession
- What makes fundraising a profession?
- Leadership for/within the profession
3:15pm: Applying philanthropic knowledge to leadership in the sector
- Action planning
- Final reflections
- Certificates and celebration
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.