Alberta School of Business
Understanding Financial Statements
Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with Alberta School of Business.Full disclaimer.
About the course
The session will cover the content, meaning and interrelationship of each of the following statements:
- Income Statement
- Balance Sheet
- Statement of Retained Earnings
- Statement of Cash Flow
Practical in-class examples and problems are used to illustrate the use of each financial statement and to illustrate the kind of management enquiry and decisions that result.
- Determine the purpose of each of the financial statements and their use in assessing the operational and financial health of a business
- Appreciate the interrelationship between the various financial statements
- Determine cash versus book income, and the critical role of cash flow in operations
- Comprehend the concept of working capital and why it is so critical to lenders.
- Understand leverage and its role in increasing return and risk.
Who should attend
- Mid-level to senior managers in non-financial areas or those needing a refresher on current financial tools and concepts
- Small business owners and entrepreneurs
Trust the experts
After spending 25 years in industry in engineering, management and executive roles, I returned to the University of Alberta in 1999 to hold the Poole Chair in Management for Engineers, until June 2009. A prime responsibility was to rebuild the Engineering Management program in the Faculty of Engi...