Who should attend
This course is suitable for everyone in HR or the business looking to gain a better understanding of the laws governing employment in the United Arab Emirates.
About the course
Delivered in partnership with leading law firm Clyde&Co, this 2-day interactive course will walk you through the legal landscape of employing people in the United Arab Emirates. From recruitment to termination, it will prepare HR practitioners to successfully handle common labour law issues which arise across the country. Participants will also get to hear about CIPD’s latest thinking in ethical HR and going beyond legal compliance. This is a very interactive workshop with a number of real-life case studies, mock trials and a live labour-law clinic with employment lawyers to answer all of your legal questions.
Upon completion of the programme, you will be able to:
- Understand the impact of employment law at the start of the employment relationship, including:
- the context within which the employment relationship operates and the impact of different jurisdictions and legal systems in the UAE
- different types of contracts including permanent, temporary, fixed-term and casual
- employment status and how it affects the employment relationship
- Recognise the main rights that the employee has during the employment relationship, including:
- an overview of the regulations for salary, allowances, tax, holidays, working hours, rest periods and night working
- discrimination - impact of discrimination law on the employment relationship; an overview of the areas covered by the UAE law
- impact of legislation on policies and procedures
- Identify the issues to address at the termination of the employment relationship, including:
- handling dismissals fairly
- discipline and grievance procedures
- redundancy – consultation, selection and the process of handling redundancies
Sara is a bilingual partner in the MENA Employment Group, recognised as a leading individual in employment by Chambers and Partners and Legal 500, she advises multinationals and local companies, including Government owned entities on the full spectrum of employment issues. Sara joined the Dubai ...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.