Who should attend
This course is intended for current professional database administrators who have three or more years of job experience administering SQL Server database solutions in an enterprise environment.
About the course
The purpose of this course is to teach database administrators working in enterprise environments how to determine and troubleshoot performance issues using Microsoft SQL Server 2005. The primary focus of this training is to teach the overall process of troubleshooting. It includes establishing monitoring standards and baselines, determining performance thresholds, and focusing the investigation on specific issues.
After completing this course, participants will be able to build a monitoring solution that will help to identify SQL Server performance issues; troubleshoot SQL Server performance issues; determine the database level reasons for poor query performance; troubleshoot common SQL Server problems; troubleshoot issues at a data level; identify the offending objects that cause concurrency issues.
Building a Monitoring Solution for SQL Server Performance Issues
- Narrowing Down a Performance Issue to an Environment Area.
- Guidelines for Monitoring Database Servers and Instances by Using Profiler and Sysmon.
- Guidelines for Auditing and Comparing Test Results.
- Lab: Building a Monitoring Solution for SQL Server Performance Issues
Troubleshooting Database and Database Server Performance Issues
- Narrowing Down a Performance Issue to a Database Object.
- How the SQLdiag Tool Can Be Used to Analyze Outputs.
- Lab: Troubleshooting Database and Database Server Performance Issues
Optimizing the Query Performance Environment
- The Methodology of Optimizing a Query Environment.
- The Query Performance Troubleshooting Process.
- Use of Database Tuning Advisor to Troubleshoot the Query Environment.
- Lab: Optimizing the Query Performance Environment
Troubleshooting SQL Server Connectivity Issues
- The Methodology of Troubleshooting SQL Server Connectivity Issues.
- Areas to Troubleshoot for Common Connectivity Issues.
- What Are SQL Server 2005 Endpoints?
- Lab: Troubleshooting SQL Server Connectivity Issues
Troubleshooting SQL Server Data Issues
- The Methodology of Troubleshooting SQL Server Data Issues.
- The Process of Troubleshooting Data Integrity Issues.
- How Torn Pages Can Be Resolved using a Single-Page Restore.
- Lab: Troubleshooting SQL Server Data Issues
Troubleshooting SQL Server Data Concurrency Issues
- The Methodology of Troubleshooting Concurrency Issues.
- What Are SQL Server Latches?
- Activity: Choosing a Blocking Monitoring Solution
- Lab: Troubleshooting SQL Server Data Concurrency Issues
A variety of methodologies will be used during the course that includes:
- (30%) Based on Case Studies
- (30%) Techniques
- (30%) Role Play
- (10%) Concepts
- Pre-test and Post-test
- Variety of Learning Methods
- Case Studies and Self Questionaires
- Group Work
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.