Make sure this course is right for you.
Get unbiased reviews and personalized recommendations.
Who should attend
The course is designed for Electrical Engineers working on Power System Planning, Protection, Operation and Control.
About the course
This course cover topics related to transient performance of electric power systems, such as introduction to power systems, fundamentals notion about electrical transient, mathematical tools necessary for transient analysis of power systems, simple switching transients, damping, abnormal switching transient, traveling waves and other transients on transmission lines, transient over voltages in power system, protection of system equipment against over voltages, and inertia effects of rotating masses.
Upon the successful completion of this course, each participant will be able to:-
- Understand power systems
- Be familiar with the fundamentals notions about electrical transients
- Understand mathematical tools necessary for transient analysis of power systems
- Be familiar with abnormal switching transients
- Be familiar with traveling waves and other transients on transmission lines
- Understand transient over voltages in power system
- Be familiar with protection of system equipment against over voltages
- Be familiar with effects of rotating masses
- To enhance the participant’s knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to understand transient analysis of electric power systems.
- To familiarize the participant’s with software program PSCAD which is practical software application used to analyze transient of electric systems of countries electric power systems.
- Introduction to Power Systems
- Fundamental Notions about Electrical Transients
- Mathematical Tools necessary for Transient Analysis of Power Systems
- Simple Switching Transients
- Transients in simple RL, RC and RLC Circuits
- Double-Frequency Transients
- Damping in RL. RC and RLC Circuits
- Damping and Frequency
- Resistance Switching
- Load Switching
Abnormal Switching Transients
- Current Interruption
- Capacitance Switching
- Restricting Phenomena
- Transformer Magnetizing Inrush Current
- Ferro resonance
Traveling Waves and other Transients on Transmission Lines
- Circuits with Distributed Parameters
- Wave Propagation on Transmission Lines
- Reflection and Refraction of Traveling Waves
- Attenuation of Traveling waves
- Transient Over voltages in Power System
- Switching Over voltages
- Lightning Over voltages
- Transient Over voltages and System Grounding Practices
Protection of System Equipment against Over voltages
- Protection of Transmission Lines against Lightning
- Lightning Shielding of Substations
- Surge Suppressors and Surge Arresters
Inertia Effects of Rotating Masses
- Starting of Electrical Machines
- Mechanical Oscillations in Alternating-Current Machinery
- Impacts on Synchronous Machines from Switching
Study case using PSCAD program
- Simple switching study case
- Abnormal switching study case
A variety of methodologies will be used during the course that includes:
- (30%) Based on Case Studies
- (30%) Techniques
- (30%) Role Play
- (10%) Concepts
- Pre-test and Post-test
- Variety of Learning Methods
- Case Studies and Self Questionaires
- Group Work
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.