The Science of Lean Operations
Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with Kellogg School of Management.Full disclaimer.
In this highly collaborative learning experience, you’ll learn how to master and implement the practice of Lean Six Sigma and put your company on the right road to world-class lean operations. Designed for managers, consultants and others involved in operations, this program focuses on how to optimize your organization’s costs, quality, speed and customer service to significantly impact your bottom line.
Under the guidance of senior Kellogg faculty you’ll explore frameworks for diagnosing, improving and designing effective processing systems. Through real-world case studies, group workshops and computer-simulation models, you’ll heighten your understanding of the science of lean operations and identify strategies for increasing throughput, shortening flow time, reducing variability and improving quality. You’ll leave equipped to alleviate bottlenecks, design effective systems and use the right metrics to operate a world-class organization.
Combined Program Option: Operations Management Week Take Supply Chain Management with The Science of Lean Operations program consecutively as part of Operations Management Week and qualify for a discounted fee. This combination offers you an executive-level overview of the innovative approach to operations management taught in the acclaimed Kellogg MBA Program.
- Link day-to-day operations with business strategies
- Customize policies according to your systems’ natural tendencies
- Analyze process flows to target improvement efforts
- Identify strategies for increasing throughput, shortening flow time, reducing variability and improving quality
The Strategic Role of Operations
- Strategic operations framework
- The Business Process Flows Framework
- Defining improvement
- Analyzing process flows: basic operational measures
The Toyota Production System
- Diagnosing common problems
- Making improvements
Science of Lean and Six Sigma
- Improvement strategies, including lean, Six Sigma, kaizen and TQM
- Translating strategy into policy
Basic Process Dynamics
- WIP, flow time, throughput relationships
- Little’s Law
- Internal benchmarking
- Analyzing bottlenecks
The Corrupting Influence of Variability
- Mechanics of congestion
- Batching effects
- Buffering with WIP, capacity and service
Push and Pull Production
- The “magic” of pull
Combined Program Option: Operations Management Week
This combination of programs offers you an executive-level overview of the innovative approach to operations management taught in the acclaimed Kellogg MBA Program. Take both programs — The Science of Lean Operations plus Supply Chain Management — consecutively as part of Operations Management Week and qualify for a discounted fee.
Who should attend
- High-level manufacturing or service managers who shape an organization’s operations
- Managers who want to improve existing operational systems
- Consultants and engineers who must justify the cost of improvement projects
- Production-control specialists
- Federal Government managers with oversight of institutional or organizational processes