Who should attend
This program is suited for professionals who want a solid foundation to deliver effective keynotes, pitches and inspire effective and efficient communication throughout their organization.
About the course
Evidence-based strategies for designing and delivering effective and engaging presentations.
Whether you are training staff, pitching a proposal, or marketing to potential clients, understanding how to enhance your message for focus, clarity, and engagement will help your audience retain information for the long-term.
Why take this course?
The three areas in which you will improve your presentation skills are:
- Give you the tools to build structure into your presentations
- Identify effective visuals and put them into practice
- Complete your presentation with effective delivery methods to motivate a call to action
Part 1 – Structure, Story and Message
- Take a guided tour of the architecture of the mind with a cognitive scientist to guide the development of presentation design
- Learn how to scaffold ideas, theories and concepts to build a story framework
- Enter PowerPoint from a position of strength to efficiently use your time
Part 2 – Multimedia Design Principles for Effective Slide Design
- Explore the science behind the essential multimedia principles of slide design
- Learn about accessibility considerations to be compliant with AODA standards for digital communication
- Build slides that connect intelligently and emotionally with the audience for long-term retention
Part 3 – Rehearsal and Delivery
- Apply key memory techniques to own the narration
- Understand the importance of elaborative rehearsal for a natural delivery that inspires and connects
- Choreograph body language for a strong presence that signals confidence and credibility
Culminating on the delivery of a complete POWERFUL presentation. Win a prize for top place!
- Real-Time application of skills learned throughout the workshop to solidify your understanding
- Analyze before and after improvements in structure, visuals and delivery of presentations to evoke higher-level critical thinking
- Solve hands on activities with diverse group members to broaden your perspective
- Receive a customized report on your presentation with scores from judges so that you can make informed improvements of your future presentations
Department of Psychology, Neuroscience & Behaviour, McMaster University Joe Kim is an Associate Professor in Psychology, Neuroscience and Behaviour at McMaster University and is actively involved in the scholarship of teaching and learning. He co-ordinates the innovative McMaster Introductor...
Paulina Rzeczkowska is an image creator & visual communicator. Working primarily for the scientific community at McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, she supports scientists in digital media projects ranging from photography and videography to web design and consulting on multime...
Dr. Faria Sana co-directs the directs the Education and Cognition Lab and has extensive experience in optimal learning research and has published widely in education and cognition. She is an Assistant Professor in the Center for Psychology at Athabasca University and Adjunct Professor in Psychol...
Read more about Business Communication
Read more about Information Technology
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.