Who should attend
This programme is for Civil Society Organizations, parties that engage CSOs\NGOs at a policy level, lawyers who deal with human rights issues, and related matters.
About the course
The course seeks to further empower the practitioners in this field with the tools to effectively use policy and negotiation skills to influence development in their countries. The course has been designed with East African context in mind with a global view.
At the end of the course, the participants should become better negotiators with governments, other NGOs, donors, private sector players and the general public who are the beneficiaries of the CSOs activities. The participants will also be better in applying policy in determining long term solutions to current challenges.
Key Focus Areas
The programme will cover the following fundamental areas:
- Understanding the policy process and framework for CSOs/NGOs
- The role of CSOs/NGOs as policy actors in the policy process
- CSOs/NGOs as Policy Actors in the policy process
- Public problems and policy solutions by CSOs/NGOs
- Policy analysis by CSOs/NGOs and other policy actors
- CSOs/NGOs in policy and alternative development initiatives
- Communicating public policy effectively
- Fighting corruption (East African Context)
- Lobbying and advocacy for public policy
- The art of effective negotiations
- Policy failure and challenges to effective implementation
The participants will also be taken through a professional coaching session for effective work-life balance and how to make your ideas translate to true transformation. Dr. Patricia Murugami will help the participants through the leadership journey from self-awareness to self-mastery.
Dr. Patricia is the Advisor to the Dean & Program Leader: Women in Business & Leadership. She was formerly Vice Dean, Executive Talent Development at Strathmore Business School (SBS), the leading Business school in the Eastern Africa region. She has provided strategic oversight and insigh...
Read more about Negotiations
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.