Comprehensive course analysis
Who should attend
- Experienced professionals focused on product design, product development, product launching, marketing, go to market strategies, selling, and managing products across all industries.
- Professionals interested in pivoting their career to a product management role
About the course
Effectively managing a product team, leveraging design thinking, and understanding a product lifecycle is good business. Centering the customer experience and creating a compelling product narrative is great business.
Product Management Studio is an immersive online product management training where you will master the skills needed to create product teams and experiences that balance customer empathy and data-based decision making. Get ready to dive into the elements involved in product management and develop a strong sense of pricing strategies, portfolio planning, the business model canvas, and negotiation tactics.
This product management training is led by Faculty Director and Earl F. Cheit Faculty Fellow at the UC Berkeley Haas School of Business, Dr. Sara Beckman. Under her guidance, you will move through a dynamic and flexible online learning experience designed to inspire idea generation and explore how to measure innovation capability. The eight weeks are thoughtfully created to include video lectures, live faculty teaching sessions, team activities and discussions, pragmatic assignments, coaching from a product management professional, and an interactive simulation.
Build Better Products by Learning How to Answer The 4 Core Questions that Every Product Manager Should Know:
What value is my organization providing? How is my organization creating value? How is my organization delivering value? How is my organization capturing value?
Develop Winning Customer Experiences Across Your Entire Product Portfolio
Build a customer-centric approach that creates exemplary customer experiences. Identify how to strategically plan your product portfolio and execute against your objectives.
Apply Innovation Capabilities to Execute New Product Ideas
Apply customer value proposition and ethnographic research to obtain deeper insights for transformational products and determine the most effective methods for integrating customer research and market signals to drive product design and predict minimum viable product.
Drive Resonance with Your Product Through Storytelling
Learn how to tell a compelling and relatable story about your product that will help you effectively engage the audience, all while prioritizing economic value to the customer (evc).
Grow into an Effective and Powerful Product Owner
Mature into a product owner that is capable of effectively managing a cross-functional team and multiple stakeholders.
- Eight-week online product management training (40 hours total)
- World-renowned UC Berkeley Haas School of Business and Berkeley Executive Education Faculty
- Individual & team coaching from expert product managers with extensive professional and leadership experience from a wide range of industries
- Faculty-led live sessions (Weeks 1, 2, 4, 6, and 8) held at 8:00-9:30am PDT or 6:00-7:30 PM PDT on Thursdays
- Coach-led lives sessions (Weeks 0, 3, 5, and 7) scheduled based on the availability of you and your team
- Weekly dynamic video lectures and practical exercises to apply tools and skills
- Small-team exercises, discussions, activities, and feedback led by coaches
- An interactive simulation to apply training takeaways
- Exclusive network-building opportunities
- Access to the program alumni community
- Product Management Studio Certificate of Completion
The Product Management Studio program curriculum covers the following topics:
TOPIC 1 | Product Management Overview
- Your role as a product manager
- Customer transformations
- Using the Product Management Canvas
- Framing & reframing
- Introduction to innovation capabilities
TOPIC 2 | Business Model Design & Building Your Customer Story
- Using the Value Proposition Canvas
- Storytelling for Innovation
- Creating a storyboard
TOPIC 3 | What Value are We Providing For Whom?
- Market research and customer-focused product design
- Segmentation: identifying new segments and jobs to be done
- Targeting: the segments will you serve
- Positioning: how will you distinguish yourself from the competition
- Understanding your customer
- Customer journey mapping
- Data-based decision making
TOPIC 4 | How Do We Create & Deliver Value?
- Value creation and innovation ecosystems
- Customer relationships and channels
- Testing hypothesis: knowing what you don’t know
- Different kinds of risks
TOPIC 5 | How Do We Capture Value?
- Breakthrough results with pricing
- How customers perceive value
- Value clarification, framing, and metrics
TOPIC 6 | Mobilizing and Executing
- Engaging your product team
- Understanding the product life cycle
- Product strategy by phase: growth, maturity, and decline
- Execution success factors
- Navigating your organization’s culture
- Influence: putting strategies into practice
TOPIC 7 | Portfolio Planning & Storytelling
- Evaluating options and roadmapping
- Having a great story
- Telling a great story
- Your two-minute product pitch
Education PhD, Organizational Behavior, Aston University MSc, Industrial Administration, Aston University BA with Honors, Sociology & Social Administration, Hull University Positions Held At Haas since 1986 2009 – present, Advisory Board, Center for Teaching Excellence, Haas Scho...
Sara Beckman is an award-winning Haas faculty member who creates and delivers courses on design, innovation and product management. She has published case studies on design for sustainability, design road mapping, and leveraging design approaches in sales processes. In over thirty years at the ...
David Mok is the Senior Director of Pricing Strategy & Analytics at DePuy Synthes (a Johnson & Johnson company), leading the pricing function for a $1B business. He is currently working on improving price realization amidst industry health care reform in a recessionary environment. At Se...
Steven Huff teaches marketing in the Executive MBA program at the Haas School of Business at UC Berkeley. He is also an Associate Professor of Marketing at Utah Valley University where he is co-creator of two novel programs: the first full digital marketing degree offered by a public university i...
Education MBA, Marketing, Columbia University BA, Urban Studies and History, Brown University Positions Held At Haas since 2008 2009 – present, Co-Founder, Spiral Staircase (theatrical production company) 2008 – present, Executive in Residence, Haas School of Business 2008 – presen...
David Charron is a member of the professional faculty of UC Berkeley’s Haas School of Business. Mr. Charron has held several leadership positions at Haas, including Executive Director of the Berkeley Innovative Leadership Development Initiative (BILD) and Executive Director of the Haas School’s E...
Videos and materials
Read more about Business Communication
Read more about Digital Transformation
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.