About the course
We change best when we are strongest.
The most commonly held formula for managing change is broken. Over 70% of all organizational change efforts and personal change efforts (like dieting) fail. When we’re unable to act with agility, speed, and unity because we’ve gotten the “change equation” wrong—often from the outset of problem framing—opportunities are missed and revenue lost.
After three decades of research and thousands of interviews, it’s clear that we change best when we are strongest and most positive, not when we feel the weakest, most negative, or helpless.
The New Change Equation: An online program delivered by David Cooperrider
Offered completely online, The New Change Equation leverages the practical insights of David Cooperrider, PhD, professor of organizational behavior and author of Appreciative Inquiry: A Positive Revolution in Change. This course is designed to help both individuals and leadership groups manage change to scale up every kind of excellence.
Change is changing. Change leadership must become—right alongside your winning business strategy—a core competency, widely shared and strengths-inspired.
Whether you’re discovering Appreciative Inquiry (AI) for the first time or you’re an experienced practitioner of this powerful methodology, this new program by David Cooperrider will define and implement a new model for change while harnessing three types of power:
Connecting and magnifying the strengths and resources across, inside, and outside an entire system to support our efforts.
Finding ways to initiate and maintain your motivation, even in the face of obstacles, to achieve the desired change.
Developing specific strategies to reach your goals and make the change a reality.
Together, wholepower, willpower, and waypower counteract the deficit of despair, empowering you and your organization for dramatic and positive change.
As a result of this program, participants will:
- Harness the ability to bring out the best in human systems—rapidly and naturally—to be able to rally people in change-resistant institutions to realize new and better futures.
- Realize that your ability and skill to mobilize change in your organization is decisive, not peripheral, and is core to individual, managerial and organizational success.
- Debunk the most common explanation for change failure—that people resist change.
- Learn to cultivate the appreciative mindset and apply the ten most powerful change management tools we’ve been able to codify across more than 3,000 interviews with industry leading stars from 57 different countries.
- Develop a coherent P.O.S.I.T.I.V.E change platform and roadmap to excel.
The New Change Equation is a seven-week digital course with online video assignments, supplemental materials, peer reviews, discussion boards and a collaborative group project.
Designed with the flexibility and convenience working professionals need, participants can engage with their course content whenever it works for their schedules. All webinars will be recorded so those who are unable to watch live won't miss any of the course content.
Participants should expect to spend about 2-3 hours per week dedicated to their course work: a mix of individual learning, collaborative group projects, and social learning.
The course will include a 2-hour online, interactive launch with David Cooperrider, followed by more than twenty video lectures by David with supplemental program materials.
Each week, a summary of key concepts and trending discussions by faculty, staff and participants will be shared, and at the conclusion of the course, participants will have ongoing access to the program materials for 90 days, plus a comprehensive participant guide, complete with program notes and personal revelations discovered throughout the program, to reference in the months and years to come.
Change Inspired by Strengths – An Introduction to the Appreciative Inquiry (AI) Mindset and Change Inspired By Strengths
Powered by Design Thinking and AI: What’s Inside the 8-Step Change Management Platform – P.O.S.I.T.I.V.E.
Let’s Get Started P Stands for Pre-Frame
- Strengthening Strengths – The Elevation of Strengths
- Imagine a Heroic Future
Establishing the New and Eclipsing the Old
- Building Your Positive Change Leadership Team – A Script for Success
- Teaching Others – A Customizable Slide Deck to Form your Own “Convening leadership Team”
Social Learning and Team Work
Through our online social learning platform NovoEd, you'll have the flexibility to learn online anytime, anywhere.
- Create teams and collaborate on projects in a shared workspace
- Form teams with other individuals based on your interests or register your own organizational team to tackle specific projects during the course
- Form communities of practice, sharing work, approaches, techniques and feedback on real issues
- Network with colleagues using profiles, activity feeds, and discussion forums
- Learn from a knowledge base of curated materials and crowdsourced content - self-publish content you think is important and review content shared by your cohort
You will receive your own personal Participant Guide, a field guide to understanding and implementing the multiple stages of the P.O.S.I.T.I.V.E model.
You need a computer that allows you to watch the video lectures and has the ability to upload program materials.
Certificate of Completion
Subject to course completion, you will receive a statement of completion from Weatherhead Executive Education.
Who should attend
This course is designed for change leaders who need a recovery of confidence in their change leadership mandates. The course is for those who need a new model of change management that is widely shared, strengths-inspired and positioned right alongside a winning business strategy.
Trust the experts
David L. Cooperrider, PhD, holds the Fairmount Santrol - David L. Cooperrider Professorship in Appreciative Inquiry at the Weatherhead School of Management, Case Western Reserve University, where he is the faculty founder of the Fowler Center for Business as an Agent of World Benefit. Cooperrider...
The New Change Equation