Who should attend
- Senior management in financial services and technology companies in the financial services vertical
- Economists, management consultants, data scientists, programmers, private equity investors, business strategists and technologists
- Those working in general management in other sectors such as consumer goods, telecoms or retailing who may be interested transitioning to a career in financial services
About the course
Accelerate your knowledge of the rapidly changing financial services ecosystem to mitigate threats, safeguard your organization’s future and capitalize on emerging opportunities.
More than $5B in capital has been invested in early/mid-stage FinTech companies in past 24 months in Canada alone. With the emergence of so many new players, a whole new FinTech ecosystem is dawning. With the advent of smart, fast and secure platforms speeding up e-commerce sales globally, and the lines between e-commerce and financial services blurring, traditional financial services firms face new threats.
This online program follows an innovative strategic approach that helps participants analyze the interdependent players across the ecosystem – from traditional banks, specialty finance, investment providers and insurance companies to disruptive fintechs, payment firms, cryptocurrency exchanges and digital custodians. We also assess the wave of new nontraditional entrants from retail, automotive, ecommerce marketplaces, big data and media that are increasingly vying for a share of the financial services market.
Participants will acquire an effective decision-making framework for preparing and defending their firms against emerging competition or assessing the areas of greatest opportunity for developing their own disruptive strategy. They will gain the insight and skills to confidently choose the best course of action for the future.
- Gain insights into the nature and adoption of new financial technologies
- Comprehend how fintech is reconfiguring financial services business models and how future models will look
- Understand the customer experience and how small, agile fintechs are gaining market share from larger financial institutions
- Discover strategies for e-commerce platforms to integrate with financial services providers and drive customer growth
- Develop skills to evaluate operational efficiencies and improvements in strategy formulation
Redefining the Financial Services Landscape
- A completely digital ecosystem: digitized products, digital customer
- Digital currency, mobile money
- Intersection of core verticals
- Disruptive waves: Plotting a course amidst uncertainty and COVID-19
Rise of Payments & Point-of-Sale Lending
- Role of shopping cart experience for payments
- Financing from bricks to clicks
- Incumbents and new entrants competing for the customer experience – winning strategies
- Digital Hybrids and Digital Natives
- Challenger or Neo-Bank examples
- The move to Open Banking in Canada
- Entry by the tech giants
- InsurTechs redefining the industry; adoption by full carriers, distributors and enablers
- Digital carriers and brokers, micro-insurers, on-demand and usage-based insurers, P2P insurers
E-commerce Transforming the Customer Experience Through Fintech
- Evaluating e-commerce partnerships
- Strategies for winning combinations
- Optimizing CX with data analytics
- Social networks and the customer journey
- AI and data analytics as competitive advantage
Crypto Currency and Blockchain
- Future applications of blockchain in fintech
- KYC/AML and the decentralized network
- Cryptocurrency: roles of custodians, asset managers and settlement agencies
M&A in the FinTech Space
- Overcoming competitive barriers via acquisitions
- Accelerating to dominance with consolidation
- The case for partnership in FinTech
Industry Experts Roundtable
- Practitioners talk about future directions
Brian Metcalfe has been an associate professor in the Goodman School of Business at Brock University, Ontario, for many years, teaching in the international and domestic MBA and undergraduate programs. His courses include International Business, International Marketing, Financial Services Marketi...
Jerome Dwight, named one of Canada’s Top 40 Under 40 is, an international executive with a record of providing strategic and operational leadership to organizations in technology, banking, media, e-commerce and professional services. He has deep experience building scale and shareholder value glo...
Videos and materials
Read more about Business Analytics
Read more about Information Technology
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.