Who should attend
The Coach Approach to Management program is designed for any manager who wants to make themselves more valuable to their current organization. It teaches valuable management skills to professionals who have departments, direct reports, colleagues, and bosses they’ll be coaching, either informally or formally.
Participant titles and job functions may include, but are not limited to:
- Operations Manager
- General Manager
- Sales Manager
- Marketing Director
- Marketing Manager
- Brand Manager
- HR Manager
- Project Manager
- Product Lead
- Education Administrator
- Entrepreneurs and business owners
About the course
Help your team—and your organization—thrive by fostering a work culture of empowerment and accountability. Learn how to boost both productivity and morale in The Coach Approach to Management program at St. Thomas.
Leaders and managers who use a coaching style of management often have employees who are more empowered, engaged, and motivated to do great work. The Coach Approach to Management program gives you key management skills, and teaches you how to:
- Maintain an open, empowering work environment
- Avoid the management pitfalls that stifle creativity and drain motivation
- Understand your beliefs as a leader and how they affect your management style
- Deliver feedback that promotes self-responsibility, commitment and collaboration
- Build trusting relationships with team members, colleagues and your boss
- Have difficult-yet-productive conversations at work
- Balance employee accountability and your managerial expectations
This program uses in-class exercises to give you practice on the coaching and leadership concepts being taught. You will be well prepared to apply your learning them at work and may find the lessons trickling into other areas of your life.
Small class sizes create a collaborative learning environment and help you build your network of fellow managers. Sessions are held on the downtown Minneapolis campus, and parking is available within one block. There are no prerequisites for this program.
Benefits of This Program
Personalized Coaching Sessions. Each participant receives two individual coaching sessions with a professional coach.
Understand Your Management Style. You’ll complete several personal assessments throughout the program, to take an in-depth look at how you manage.
Build Relationships. Know how to build trust with your coworkers and boss. Equip yourself with the right tools to coach your way through difficult conversations.
Gain a New Network of Professional Peers. your fellow Coach Approach students. You can turn to this network for support and advice long after the program ends.
In three classroom sessions over the course of three months, you’ll build your Coaching Toolbox, which contains all of the skills and strategies you need to manage your team more effectively. These Coach Approach tools include:
- Core Values Index and roles assessments
- Identifying your strengths and growth edges
- Phases of a coaching conversation
- Active listening and empathy
- Understanding what makes others tick
- Starting conversations, not conflict
- Coaching for performance
- Effective feedback
- Developing responsibility in others
- Meet Your Instructors
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.