The Berkeley Product Management Studio
Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with Haas School of Business.Full disclaimer.
Through the lens of customer centricity, Product Management Studio helps you craft, tell, and sell your product's story. Our premier online program led by Faculty Director, and Earl F. Cheit Faculty Fellow at the UC Berkeley Haas School of Business, Dr. Sara Beckman, Product Management Studio moves you through a dynamic, immersive experience designed to ensure that the knowledge gained gets put to work in your career and your organization. The program culminates with you earning the Berkeley Product Management Studio Certificate as a testament to your newly developed and honed skills.
Build Better Products by Learning How to Answer The 4 Core Questions that Every Product Manager Should Know: What value is my organization providing? How is my organization creating value? How is my organization delivering value? How is my organization capturing value?
Develop Winning Customer Experiences Across Your Entire Product Portfolio Build customer experiences and identify how to strategically best plan your product portfolio and execute against your roadmaps.
Apply Innovation Capabilities to Execute New Product Ideas Harness customer-centric design tools to obtain deeper insights for transformational products and determine the most effective methods for integrating customer research and market signals to drive product design and product development decisions.
Drive Resonance with Your Product Through Storytelling Learn how to tell a compelling and relatable story about your product that will help you effectively engage decision-makers.
The Product Management Studio program curriculum covers the following topics:
TOPIC 1 | Product Management Overview
- Your role as a product manager
- Customer transformations
- Using the Product Management Canvas
- Framing & reframing
- Introduction to innovation capabilities
TOPIC 2 | Business Model Design & Building Your Customer Story
- Using the Value Proposition Canvas
- Storytelling for Innovation
- Creating a storyboard
TOPIC 3 | What Value are We Providing For Whom?
- Market research and customer-focused product design
- Segmentation: identifying new segments and jobs to be done
- Targeting: the segments will you serve
- Positioning: how will you distinguish yourself from the competition
- Understanding your customer
- Customer journey mapping
- Data-based decision making
TOPIC 4 | How Do We Create & Deliver Value?
- Value creation and innovation ecosystems
- Customer relationships and channels
- Testing hypothesis: knowing what you don’t know
- Different kinds of risks
TOPIC 5 | How Do We Capture Value?
- Breakthrough results with pricing
- How customers perceive value
- Value clarification, framing, and metrics
TOPIC 6 | Mobilizing and Executing
- Engaging your product team
- Understanding the product life cycle
- Product strategy by phase: growth, maturity, and decline
- Execution success factors
- Navigating your organization’s culture
- Influence: putting strategies into practice
TOPIC 7 | Portfolio Planning & Storytelling
- Evaluating options and roadmapping
- Having a great story
- Telling a great story
- Your two-minute product pitch
Who should attend
Experienced professionals focused on designing, managing, and launching products as well as engineers interfacing with Product Management.