Comprehensive course analysis
Who should attend
Professionals and managers in all functions who are actively engaged in decision making in times of increasing volatility and uncertainty.
About the course
Today’s business leaders are increasingly forced to make quick decisions. Good managers will set out with the intention of making a reasoned and well-thought-out judgment call, yet a rational approach to tackling decisions is only one side of the story. Too often, too much emphasis is placed on intuition, and personal biases begin to influence – and fatally flaw – the decision-making process. This tendency should be balanced with objective analysis.
The Art of Decision Making looks at both sides of the equation. Practical experience is merged with up-to-date theoretical concepts. In addition to discussing business case studies with your international peers and ESMT’s distinguished faculty, you will take part in individual and group exercises and tackle common decision-making challenges.
- Designing decision-making processes that combine rationality and intuition
- Learning how to avoid common decision-making mistakes
- Recognizing your own biases to prevent them from influencing your decisions
- Understanding how to best utilize big data and evidence-based decision making
- Making good decisions
- Understanding decision-making psychology
- Optimizing group processes
Day 1 – Exploring rationality and intuition
- Elements of a good decision
- Group decision making in a multi-period setting
- Mental biases in decision-making processes
Day 2 – Implementing rationality and intuition
- Keynote session with a guest speaker
- Combining rationality and intuition
- Integrating evidence-based decision making into leadership culture
- Exploring decision-making styles
Christoph Burger is senior lecturer and senior associate dean executive education at the European School of Management and Technology. Before joining ESMT, he worked five years in industry at Otto Versand and as vice president at the Bertelsmann Buch AG, five years at consulting practice Arthur D...
Videos and materials
Read more about Business Analytics
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.