Comprehensive course analysis
Who should attend
This program is designed for experienced and aspiring program delivery leaders, as well as staff and leaders of enabling functions who contribute to the success of complex projects. The course will benefit senior and aspiring project managers, key project management staff, commercial managers, supply chain managers, portfolio managers and key advisors in both government and industry who will bring diverse perspectives to complex program management.
About the course
This three-day program is designed to radically alter how you view complex project management and give you strategies and methodologies for thriving in the face of increasing uncertainty and change. The program positions contemporary complex project management at a strategic level where projects and project portfolios are examined within a broad environmental context. In this model, strategic and holistic thinking are necessary, and must be integrated with the many other disciplines of effective complex project management. Project managers are charged with strategically managing these interdependencies between projects, the environment, and stakeholders, and this program will introduce new ways of mobilizing your existing expertise in these areas. Throughout the course, participants will learn about Systems Thinking through case studies and group work.
What You Will Learn
- How the wider environment affects decisions about the management of complex projects;
- Holistic approaches to problem solving;
- The Soft Systems Methodology for dealing with diverse stakeholder priorities;
- How to design solutions to complex problems that are inclusive, comprehensive, and fair.
- Strategies for implementing the learning into the workplace;
- An ability to make sense of complex problems using Soft Systems Methodology;
- Tools to challenge project/program boundaries and taken for granted assumptions using critical systems heuristics.
Stephane Tywoniak is professor of Complex Project Management at the Telfer School of Management, University of Ottawa (Canada). He has over twenty years' experience teaching strategy, systems thinking, entrepreneurship and project management. His academic coordination track record includes: La Ro...
Videos and materials
Read more about Project management
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.