Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with Nanyang Technological University Center for Continuing Education.Full disclaimer.
About the course
The course introduces the fundamentals, methodologies and practices of Systems Thinking for problem solving and process improvement. The emphasis is on developing a systemic mindset in dealing with problem situations concerning issues, processes, organization and capability building.
Participants will learn to:
- Appreciate the benefits of Systems Thinking and relevant systems methodologies, and a systemic approach to deal with increasingly complex and challenging problems in businesses, organisations, systems and projects.
- Apply a soft systems thinking methodology for problem definition, resolution, and continual process improvement in businesses & organisations.
PART A: PARADIGM SHIFT
Systems Thinking & Managing Complexity
- Changing pattern of thought; and paradigm shift in the nature of organisation and nature of inquiry
- Openness, purposefulness, multi-dimensionality
- Emergence, Emergent property,
- Complexity, Requisite Variety, Parsimony, counter-intuitive.
- Edge of Chaos, organized and controlled complexity.
PART B: SYSTEMIC METHODOLOGY
Soft Systems Methodology (SSM)
- Systematic vs. Systemic, hard vs. soft systems thinking
- Systemic methodology: Problem identification, Situational awareness and appreciation of problematic situations, Rich-picture, naming the relevant systems, Root-definition involving (XYZ: what, why and how), CATWOE Analysis, Conceptual models, exploring solution space, Gap analysis, feasibility and desirability of change initiatives.
Systems Thinking, Systems Engineering & Architecture
- Fundamentals of Systems Engineering Process: Business case, concept definition, mission analysis, stakeholders’ needs and requirements, Concept of operations (ConOps) and Operational concept (OpsCon).
- Life-cycle Vee model: Interdependence of Systems thinking, project management and systems engineering.
PART C: GROUP WORK-APPLICATION OF SYSTEMS METHODOLOGIES
Application of Systemic Methodology
- Participants will form groups to explore and identify a problem situation (reasonably complex), in business, organization, or society which are in need of improvement through deeper investigation.
- Participants are encouraged to dialectically comparing the real world with idealized models to stimulated discussions and mutual learning.
Presentation of Group Work
- Sharing and reflection on lessons learned.
Who should attend
- Enterprise/organisational leaders and managers
- Senior project engineers and project/program managers
- Systems engineers and systems architects
- Executives in engineering & operations, technology & commercial development in commerce and industries, as well as government departments, agencies & authorities.
Trust the experts
Khim Teck Yeo
Dr Khim-Teck Yeo has been an Associate Professor, Head of Division (Systems and Engineering Management), the establishing Programme Director for MSc(Systems and Project management), School of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, NTU.. He has also been a visiting scholar to Sloan School of Mana...