Summer Business Institute
Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with Cox School of Business.Full disclaimer.
No matter which career path you're on, you're going to have teams to lead, budgets to analyze, products or services to market and results to deliver — all of which require a basic business education. We've designed the SMU Cox Summer Business Institute to give non-business majors and early-career professionals a firm grasp of these theories and skills as part of an intensive and dynamic experience. Taught by top professors handpicked from the Cox School MBA and Executive Education programs, this rigorous four-week certificate program will also give you career counseling, invaluable connections and a confidence that will help you push ahead as you launch this next phase in your life.
Over the course of study, you’ll work with faculty mentors to explore current business issues, analyze real-world situations, and hone teamwork and interviewing skills. You'll see business in action during field trips to leading companies and interactions with visiting speakers. At the end of the month, you and your team will give a formal business presentation that pulls together everything you’ve learned. And you'll leave the program with course materials that will be valuable reference tools well into your career.
- Accounting You’ll learn how this “scorecard of business,” enables internal and external observers to assess performance— and gives managers critical data for decision-making.
- Marketing In class and in the field, you’ll explore how companies identify unfulfilled needs, convert them into business opportunities and maximize consumer satisfaction.
- Finance You’ll understand planning, forecasting, and the sourcing and allocation of capital. You’ll learn how companies access markets and use financial instruments to fund operations and fuel growth.
- Business law You’ll explore key topics in business and employment law, including employer liabilities, discrimination, wrongful discharge, at-will employment, white-collar crime, intellectual property and labor law.
- Career planning We’ll coach you on building an accomplished resume, presenting with confidence and making a positive impression as a polished interviewer.
- Computer skills Sessions on Microsoft Excel will help you strengthen your ability to analyze and manage data.
- Entrepreneurship The director of the SMU Caruth Institute for Entrepreneurship will present the ins and outs of planning, financing and managing a startup.
- Personal Finance You’ll gain invaluable insights into everyday budgeting, handling student debt, saving for big events, planning for retirement and more.