Who should attend
Managers and executives who are involved in their organization's strategic planning process.
About the course
In this highly-acclaimed 5-day Strategy Program, you will learn how to manage strategic planning as an ongoing process to drive change and growth. Our uniquely structured and disciplined framework will help you shape the future of your business, and will give you the confidence to challenge conventional wisdom in your industry.
This program will enable you to:
- Create an effective strategic planning process
- Understand a variety of strategic planning tools
- Lead deep organizational change
- Successfully develop and implement the strategic plan
In addition, the Program will focus on topics such as:
- Leading performance improvements
- Managing change
- Creating a flexible, adaptive, self-renewing organization
The concepts and tools taught in the Program will greatly enhance your strategic planning knowledge and skills
- Develop a strategic mindset and change the way you think about your business
- Learn the latest strategic tools and techniques, and strengthen your ability to lead the strategic planning process in your organization
- Improve your ability to manage change and build commitment to new strategic directions
- Understand the leadership requirements to successfully implement your strategic plan
- Learn to challenge conventional wisdom with confidence
- Network with a group of experienced managers and executives from a variety of industries across Canada
- Learn how to lead a healthy and balanced life through the Program's optional Lifestyle Component
Leading-edge strategic planning will have a major impact on your organization's future direction
- Introduce proven strategy development tools into the management practices of your organization
- Benchmark against best practices of leading companies
- Integrate short- and long-term operating objectives
- Anticipate and prepare for changes in the competitive landscape
- Link tactical action plans to the organization's strategic plan
- Improve organizational performance
The program leverages the educational power of multiple teaching tools, including class discussions, exchange of ideas and perspectives with faculty and fellow participants, one-on-one coaching, exercises, and the development of a self-directed action plan for improving personal effectiveness.
Sample the content
Managerial Decision Making
Professor Salman Mufti discusses the elements integral to effective managerial decision-making, examining a number of strategies to assist in avoiding common biases and pitfalls.
The Program is built around a four-step process:
CREATING AN EFFECTIVE STRATEGIC PLANNING PROCESS
Creating a strategic planning process will change the way you think about your business and allow you to develop useful strategic plans that have buy-in across the organization
- Evaluating your organization's strategy development process
- Designing a structured and disciplined framework for planning and encouraging creativity
- Using the strategic planning process to challenge conventional wisdom
- Utilizing a rapid, focused, and action oriented planning process
STRATEGIC PLANNING TOOLS AND FRAMEWORKS
Assessing a variety of strategic planning tools and frameworks
- Creating a vision statement, mission, and objectives that are meaningful to your organization
- Identifying the challenges and opportunities that are make-or-break for your organization
- Understanding the profit drivers and financial implications of alternative strategic platforms
- Preparing for changes in competitive conditions and market dynamics
- Integrating cross-functional considerations into the plan
LEADING ORGANIZATIONAL CHANGE
Improving the effectiveness of organizational change
- Creating champions and coalitions to drive change
- Understanding the role of leaders in driving change
- Managing resistance to change and building a sustained commitment to change
- Aligning the organization behind the strategic plan
IMPLEMENTING THE STRATEGIC PLAN
Focusing organizational resources to ensure rapid implementation of the strategic plan and generating sustained momentum
- Understanding how the organization's culture affects strategy implementation
- Ensuring the organization's infrastructure and culture support the change effort
- Building in accountabilities and the appropriate measurement scorecards
- Leveraging the strategic plan through alliances and partnerships
Associate Professor & Associate Dean of MBA and Masters Programs; and Director - Queens Centre for Business Venturing (QCED/QCBV) and CIBC Faculty Fellow in Entrepreneurship Elspeth Murray has served as the Associate Dean - MBA and Masters Programs since 2012, and has been a professor of S...
Associate Dean and Executive Director of Smith School of Business - Executive Education & Adjunct Associate Professor Salman Mufti is Associate Dean and Executive Director of Smith School of Business - Executive Education. He is also Associate Professor of Management Information Systems at...
Professor Peter Richardson has been a faculty member of the School of Business for 37 years. He teaches both introductory and advanced strategy courses in the School of Business on the Executive MBA programs and on a number of the School’s one and three week Continuing Education programs. T...
Professor & Distinguished Professor of Business Economics Dr. Jean de Bettignies is Professor, and Distinguished Professor of Business Economics, at the Smith School of Business (SSB) at Queen’s University. His research examines applications of contract theory to organizational economics, ...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.