Strategy in the age of Digital Disruption (Online)
Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with INSEAD Business School.Full disclaimer.
Develop a strategic response to digital disruption
Disruption is one of the most popular terms in management today. The surge in interest comes in large part from the dramatic opportunities and threats being created by today’s powerful digital technologies. The cloud now conveniently and inexpensively packages incredible processing power and digital storage, while inexpensive bandwidth and versatile smartphones make digital a ubiquitous part of modern life. The possibilities for new products, services and business models promise to substantially impact almost every sector of the economy even those where digital has already brought important changes.
Strategy in the Age of Digital Disruption provides the strategic tools, concepts and perspectives that will allow you to develop a strategic response to the new digital possibilities and to then align your organisation for effective strategy execution. It will support you in becoming more proactive in the digital domain, help you turn digital threats into opportunities, and allow you to leverage digital to create competitive advantage and enhanced performance.
HOW YOU BENEFIT
- Understand how digital can disrupt your industry by transforming the industry value chain, patterns of demand and competitive pressures
- Leverage digital to develop compelling value propositions that allow you to turn disruption from a threat to an opportunity
- Execute on digital strategies by aligning key activities across your organisation with new value propositions and by balancing strategic agility for a digital world with the longer-term perspective required to build key resources
Strategy in the Age of Digital Disruption is an online programme that requires you to work on multiple levels. The programme content is delivered over 5 weeks, with each week developing one part of the overall strategy framework to address the challenge of digital disruption.
WEEK 1 INTRODUCING DIGITAL DISRUPTION
- What is digital disruption?
- Disruption - or maybe not
- The need for a strategic response
- Strategy as fit
- Strategy and performance
WEEK 2 FOLLOW THE VALUE
- Seeing the big picture: value creation and value capture
- Balancing willingness-to-pay (WTP) and resource costs
- Digital's impact on WTP in B2B and B2C settings
- Disruption driving shifts in value creation and market size
- Attacks from above and from below
WEEK 3 CAPTURE YOUR SHARE
- Value capture: who and how much?
- Players in the industry value chain
- Value chain dynamics
- Competitive pressures and where to play
- Platforms and positive feedback
WEEK 4 DIGITAL - FROM THREAT TO OPPORTUNITY
- Digitally enabled value propositions
- Value propositions and internal activity systems
- Opportunities from industry convergence
- Competitive advantage and added value
- Threats to competitive advantage
WEEK 5 EXECUTING ON DIGITAL
- The challenge of strategy execution
- Balancing strategic agility and long-term stability
- Rethinking your strategy process for agility
- Aligning value, activities and resources
- Strategic partnerships fuelling growth
WEEKLY LEARNING JOURNEY
Each week of content follows a very clear path to facilitate learning for busy executives. The platform allows participants to learn at their own pace during each week, by viewing the content, completing assignments and engaging in discussions, taking on average 3-5 hours per week to complete.
Understanding digital disruption and acquiring the critical strategic tools and frameworks provide the essential foundations for your digital transformation journey. Skillfully applying these acquired tools and frameworks to your own business context will be key to strategic success.
With this in mind, the Action-Learning Project (ALP) will give you the opportunity to practise applying your learning to your own business context. Working with the learning coach, you will design an ALP that is right for your organisation and your personal learning objectives. Typically, the ALP involves a variation on one of the following:
- Develop a new digitally enabled value proposition that responds to the disruptive dynamics in your industry
- Apply the tools and concepts from the programme to develop a strategic perspective on a specific project or initiative focused on leveraging new digital technologies
- Analyse and reflect on the impact of digital on your industry and organisation, and that is developing strategic options for your organisation to respond to digital disruption.
For those attending the programme with a group of colleagues from the same company or organisation, the learning coach can help you structure a more ambitious team ALP to collaborate and work on together.
Who should attend
Strategy in the Age of Digital Disruption is a meeting place for two groups. It is designed for:
- Executives who are in traditional leadership positions - of business units, products and functions - who need to better leverage digital in their current leadership activities.
- Executives who already have deep expertise and passion for digital and whose roles and projects are becoming increasingly strategic for their organisations.
Together you will learn how to drive a strategic approach to digital opportunities in your organisations.
Given the strategic orientation of the programme, participants should typically have at least 10 years of professional experience.