Who should attend
Experienced business executives operating within strategic environments, typically at director level and above.
Sample job titles:
- Chief Executive Officer
- Chief Financial Officer
- General Manager
- Business Strategy Manager
About the course
Manage Growth and Change with Innovative Strategies
Designed for senior managers and executives, this intellectually rich engagement program challenges you to explore the latest strategic tools and apply them directly to your business. You will develop and harness your own creative potential to deliver competitive advantage for your organization, and understand the different routes to successful innovation.
Even the deepest learning comes to nothing, if intent is not turned into action. The program is designed as a highly interactive experience, using case studies, projects and experiential activities to help you embed what you are learning. You will receive support and individual guidance from our world-class faculty, who are available beyond their session times.
Benefits to You
Strategy provides the tools you need to lead your organization through turbulent times. This program will help you:
- Apply effective cutting-edge strategic tools to your business
- Foster innovation and creativity and harness them for competitive advantage
- Understand the current and future business environment and how to plan for the unexpected
- Assess and leverage your strategic organizational culture
- Effectively manage the change required to deliver on your vision
- Build your confidence and skill in operating in the strategic arena
Benefits to Your Organization
Strategy elevates good leaders to exceptional performers. This program will help participant organizations:
- Develop their organizational capacity to define and implement effective business strategies
- Capture the competitive benefits of innovation and creativity in the workplace
- Capitalize immediately on the deepened insights and skills brought back to the workplace
- Support their teams through periods of organizational change
- Develop a long-term plan for the sustainability of the organization
- Fundamentals and core concepts of strategy: Classic macro environment scanning (PEST, SWOT, Porter’s 5 Forces)
- New tools in strategy: Blue Ocean Strategy, Business Model Canvas and Lean Launch Pad, The End of Competitive Advantage, Playing to Win
- Creativity: what it means to be a creative leader, key skills and techniques to develop individual creativity for business impact
- Innovation case studies: how very different companies successfully innovate (Apple, IBM, 3M, Lockheed Martin)
- Systems for innovation and appreciating failure
- Evaluating and managing uncertainty in the business environment, understanding the political landscape
- External risk management and reducing the impact of crises: horizon scanning, risk reputation management and effective stakeholder engagement
- Scenario approaches to the development of strategy
- Organizational culture: What does it mean to be a ‘great place to work’ and why does it matter? Assessing your own culture and leveraging it for success
- Effectively managing change
This program is designed to build applied skills in strategy, innovation and change management. To this purpose, you will engage in a Strategy Project that focuses on the future of your organization. The project will consist of:
- Opportunity statement: map out a significant strategic direction or opportunity for your company, and describe its strategic importance
- Analysis: develop a business case in the face of your chosen challenge or opportunity
- Recommendations: draft a proposal on how to tackle your plan, and outline the expected strategic outcomes
During the week you will receive one-on-one time with a faculty advisor to support your project. At the end of the program you will present your proposal to the group, and get feedback for moving it forward in your organization.
BBA (Wilfrid Laurier), PhD (Florida) Senior Instructor, Marketing and Behavioural Science Division Research Interests Consumer Judgement and Decision Making Rebates Frequency Reward Programs Mental Accounting Procrastination Course Taught Brand Management (BCom & MBA) New Product Developm...
Tracey Gurton has been lecturing in the Sauder School of Business at UBC for 6 years. During that time she has taught undergraduates, masters students in two faculties, and business executives. She has also taught in similar programs at Simon Fraser University and the British Columbia Institute o...
BSc (Hons), PhD (University of East Anglia, UK) Executive Director, Centre for Social Innovation & Impact Investing Associate, The W. Maurice Young Centre for Applied Ethics (former Chair in Business Ethics at CAE) James is an Associate Professor at the Sauder School of Business and the E...
Darren is Senior Associate Dean and the BC Innovation Council Professor of Marketing at the Sauder School of Business. He teaches courses in strategic marketing, entrepreneurship and creativity. His work on product development and consumer behaviour has been presented at conferences international...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.