Who should attend
Designed for both business professionals who are looking to increase their knowledge of data science and how it can help them in their current roles, and business leaders who are looking to create data-savvy teams and improve the performance of their departments and the company overall.
About the course
Leverage insights from data analytics to drive smarter decisions for your organization.
Learn to use insights from data analytics as a value driver for your organization. Identify challenges and opportunities facing data-driven organizations and apply strategies for leveraging data science to create competitive advantage.
Offered as part of a three-program series, Strategic Use of Data is led by thought leaders from both UVA Darden Executive Education and UVA Data Science, recognized as experts in data science techniques and tools, and the application of those in the modern business context. The other two programs in this series are:
- Data Science in Action
- Building a Data Pipeline
Each program may be taken as a stand alone course, or you may take all three programs to gain a unique and comprehensive perspective on data science in business.
This program will engage participants in the process of identifying strategic data analytic opportunities and challenges, defining metrics and evaluating their effectiveness, and how insights from data can help shape and guide their organization.
- Participate in case study and group discussions designed to provide exposure to the practical application of methodologies used to examine and leverage data.
- Featured topics and tools include metrics and mental models, return on investment, data driven business models, and design thinking.
- Explore the economics issues around data science, such as globalization and international markets, ethics, law and policy.
Schedule and Session Topics
The first day of the program will run from approximately 8:15am-5:00pm. The second day will run from approximately 8:30am-3:45pm. Sessions include:
- Introduction to Data Science, Process and Approach
- Data Driven Digital Transformation
- Action to Consequence Mapping
- Leading in the Digital Age
- Design Thinking and Organizational Transformation
- Data Integrity and Ethics
Impact & Outcomes
- Identify performance metrics to be used to measure return on investment of data analytic initiatives.
- Map the appropriate analytic tools to the desired customer insights.
- Interpret results of data analytic efforts and translate them into meaningful business decisions.
- Formulate appropriate questions based on a stronger knowledge of the available analytical techniques and technological solutions to data science challenges.
- Discover innovative ways to address problems using data science techniques.
- Understand the lifelong learning approach required to stay current on the application of data science methods for business problems due to the rapidly changing nature of the technological landscape.
Education : B.S., MS, University of Virginia; Ph.D., Massachusetts Institute of Technology Professor Lenox was appointed to the Tayloe Murphy Professorship in Business Administration at the University of Virginia''s Darden School of Business, where he teaches the core MBA strategy course. He als...
Education: B.E., Computer Science, University of Madras, India; Ph.D., Marketing, University of Houston Professor of Business Administration Rajkumar Venkatesan teaches Marketing Technology Products, Marketing Strategy, and Marketing Analytics at Darden. Venkatesan''s research focuses on ana...
Education: B.A., University of Virginia; MBA, Ph.D., University of Virginia Assistant Professor Bidhan ("Bobby") Parmar teaches First Year Ethics and a Second Year elective on collaboration at the Darden School of Business. He was recently named one of the top 40 Business School professors under...
Education: B.Sc., Ben-Gurion University; MSc, London School of Economics; Ph.D., MRes, London Business School Associate Professor Yael Grushka-Cockayne''s research and teaching activities focus on data science, forecasting, project management, and behavioral decision making. Her research is publ...
In the beginning, there was a group of faculty members: professors at the University of Virginia who kept meeting over the course of two years to talk about Data, with a capital "D." Dr. Donald Brown, a professor in the Department of Systems and Information Engineering, was a leading member of t...
Read more about Business Analytics
Read more about Digital Transformation
Read more about Information Technology
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.