Strategic Thinking in the Digital Context
Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with Sauder School of Business.Full disclaimer.
Gain an understanding of strategic frameworks and models is key for organizations to succeed in crafting a digital strategy. Explore creative and analytical thinking systems and develop a strategic roadmap using such innovative tools as the Business Canvas Model. This course is ideal for establishing a design-thinking approach, a perspective on disruption and a foundation for the design of your first digital business strategy.
Curriculum topics include:
- What is strategic analysis?
- Introduction to thinking strategies
- Critical thinking and reflection
- Creative thinking and expression
- The art of observation and deduction
- Data visualization
- Analysis through prototyping and design-thinking
- Mapping your digital strategy to the business canvas
This program is offered 100% online.
Our online programs are structured to provide a positive learning environment for participants to engage in and interact with the content and other participants, as well as with the online instructor who is an industry professional. Instructors facilitate the learning throughout the program and are available to provide feedback and guidance as you navigate through the content. This program is delivered online over four weeks and involves an average of 6-10 hours of study per week.
Businesses are very invested in innovation and creativity, but these pursuits fail when they are isolated from traditional business analysis, strategy, and problem-solving. The pace of disruption today requires businesses to integrate creativity and strategy so that innovations are aligned with company core capabilities and strategies, so that the outcomes of innovation work move beyond the doors of the creativity playroom, and so that teams involved stop thinking of innovation as an extracurricular but not essential part of their work processes.
Led by Professor Bill Duggan and experienced Strategy& Director Amy Murphy, Creative Strategy (Online): Strategic Intuition to Solve Complex Challenges brings you exclusive tools to enhance and systematize the idea generation process and develop powerful ideas that you can turn into growth strategies for your organization.
Over ten weeks, participants will learn the science and method of strategic intuition through more than 20 videos, facilitated online discussion boards, readings, projects, and more. Participants will interact with faculty, course facilitators, and peers from around the world. All program content and materials will be available for two months following the program. The suggested time commitment for this program is approximately four hours per week.
Creative Strategy (Online): Strategic Intuition to Solve Complex Challenges will provide an uncommon and effective framework for strategic idea generation and present practical tools to analyze business problems, see how others throughout history have solved similar issues, and generate original and aligned solutions to your complex business challenges.
By the end of this program, you will be able to:
- Understand how strategic intuition has been used throughout history to come up with new solutions
- Assess your and your team’s capacity for strategic intuition
- Identify and address the potential obstacles to innovation at your organization
- Distinguish between an innovation challenge and business problems that simply need expertise
- Generate inspiring solutions that are aligned with business strategy, enhanced by the newest ideas on the market and differentiated from your competitors
- Use a new methodology to generate ideas and combinations of ideas to strategically solve complex business challenges
Creative Strategy (Online): Strategic Intuition to Solve Complex Challenges is a ten-module journey to enhance your idea generation capabilities by understanding how creative insights come about in the brain, through learning the Strategic Intuition methodology and by applying it to your own complex business challenges.
Each module features lectures, insight boards assignments, and faculty feedback. To earn a Certificate of Completion, Merit, or Achievement, you must submit a mix of program assignments, assessments, and reflections. The program concludes June 30, 2017, and you will have two weeks after the program to submit assignments and a final project.
The program includes the following:
- More than 20 video lectures by Professor Duggan with supportive presentation materials
- Step by step instructional videos by Amy Murphy to help you strategically align your creative idea generation process with your business problem solving to move beyond traditional best practices and expertise
- Coaching cams from an experienced practitioner to help you overcome obstacles in your problem solving
- Opportunities to share insights and collaborate on group projects with peers around the world
- Self assessments
- Group and independent study projects
- Summative weekly commentary and feedback from program faculty and staff
- A learning journal for reflection and personal application
- Two months of access to materials after the program concludes
- Week 1: Program Kick Off and Orientation
- Week 2: The Science of Strategic Intuition
- Week 3: Presence of Mind and Examples from History
- Week 4: Introduction to Creative Combination and More Examples from History
- Week 5: Introduction to the Insight Matrix [Idea Box]
- Week 6: Rapid Appraisal: Identifying and Refining Elements
- Week 7: What Works Scan: Searching for Precedents
- Week 8: Creative Combination Practice
- Week 9: The GLeaM Tool
- Week 10: Program Conclusion and Final Project
Who should attend
Creative Strategy (Online): Using Strategic Intuition to Solve Complex Challenges is designed for executives at all levels who are involved in strategic planning, innovation, creative design, product development, marketing and other idea-generating functions.