Comprehensive course analysis
Who should attend
This program is designed for managers, executives, engineers, and entrepreneurs who need a toolkit for innovation. Participants will learn how to provide more impactful, advanced, and sustainable solutions to complex problems in the business world.
About the course
Critical skills for organizational success
Of all the skills needed to succeed in work and life, research shows that complex problem solving is critical. But, for most of us, solving diﬃcult problems and selling the solutions does not come naturally. In this engaging and highly interactive seminar, we show you how to become a better problem solver and solution seller. The goal is to guide you through each step of the 4S method – from how to state, structure, and solve problems to how to sell the solutions. During the seminar, you will apply the method and toolkit to a pressing organizational problem you face. You will leave with a greatly improved understanding of how you can create value by helping your organization crack the problems that matter most.
Key Benefits & Takeaways
- Understand how to overcome the cognitive biases and pitfalls of problem solving
- Develop the discipline and confidence to tackle diﬃcult problems outside your expertise
- Define problems using the TOSCA framework
- Learn how to structure a problem
- Solve problems deductively using an analytic approach
- Discover design thinking through an overview
- Develop a persuasive report or presentation to sell the solution
Topics covered in this course
- The power and pitfalls of problem solving
- Introduction to the 4S method
- Using TOSCA to state the problem
- Problem statement exercise
- Problem structuring with issue trees
- Problem structuring with hypothesis pyramids
- Problem structuring exercise
- Prioritize potential solutions
- Solution prioritization exercise
- Solution analysis planning
- Solution analysis exercise
- Brief foray into design thinking
- Sell using the pyramid principle
- Alternative pyramid constructions
- Solution selling exercise – pitch construction
Don Melville is an expert in strategy and competitive advantage. In his prior roles as Director at Secor and Senior Consultant at CapGemini, he led a number of activities aimed at achieving strategic excellence for multinational corporations. He is currently a faculty member in the areas of finan...
Videos and materials
Read more about Business Analytics
Read more about Business Communication
Read more about Digital Transformation
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.