Strategic Organization Design Workshop
Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with Center for Effective Organizations.Full disclaimer.
Organizational design is a cornerstone of competitive advantage nautilus-thumb-120x120-40130and performance. The ability to design organizations that are efficient enough to drive performance and flexible enough to sustain advantage is a fundamental capability in today’s dynamic and competitive environment. Dynamic strategies call for new organizational forms that pose complex new design challenges at all levels and in all sub-systems of the organization.
The program has been recently refreshed to increase focus on the design challenges of an increasingly digital economy where work, change and design issues are merging.
This workshop provides participants with core principles, models, tools and examples of organization design for those who wish to develop a deeper understanding of this topic and to learn useable organization design frameworks. It addresses the core building blocks of design, and how to put them together to support strategy, including customer focused organization and organizational approaches to facilitate innovation and reconfigurability around opportunities and strategies. It provides a foundation of knowledge to guide organization design and of tools to use in leading the design process.
The workshop will provide frameworks helpful in addressing such challenges as:
- Ensuring that the design of the organization supports the business strategy
- Designing for flexibility, innovation, and rapid change
- Organizing around the customers, geographies and products
- Leveraging resources as the business becomes more complex
- Designing effective alliances, networks, and other lateral structures
- Governing a complex organization
- Approaches to integrate complex globally dispersed organizations
- Making sure the human capital approaches support the strategy
- Implementing new designs
In order to get the most out of the workshop there will be a number of pre-work assignments:
- Summarize a current organization design challenge using a workbook guide.
- Reading (four) chapters from Jay Galbraith’s book “Organization Design” which will be sent in advance.
- Read three case studies/articles that will be used during the workshop.
- Attend a one hour pre-webinar that will provide you a brief introduction to the workshop.
- In total the pre-work will take 3-4 hours.
Attendees might include:
- Human Resource Professionals
- Line Managers and Design Teams
- Internal Corporate Consultants
- Organizational Development Professionals
Who should attend
Individuals and teams who are interested in deepening their knowledge of organizational design should attend. The workshop is appropriate for HR professionals, internal consultants, line managers, and others involved with strategic design and implementation. Although it provides a broad overview and hands on tools, the workshop is designed for people with some grounding in organizational design issues.