This course has no confirmed dates in the future. Subscribe to be notified when it is offered.
About the course
Merging and acquiring is an essential part of your corporate armory. Corporate mergers and acquisitions play a significant role in many companies' value and growth strategies. If designed and executed successfully, these strategies will help your company gain and sustain a competitive advantage.
But not all M&As succeed. The reasons for failure in M&A are many, but can be synthesised into two key factors. Firstly, over-optimism in valuing the target company, in particular being overly optimistic about the synergies to be achieved post-acquisition. The second reason relates to the human element. We like to think we are rational beings but we all tend to behave irrationally at times. We believe we can accurately predict the future and repeat previous success ad infinitum. As a result, we seek evidence to confirm our beliefs and views instead of searching for evidence to contradict ourselves, and we don't pay sufficient attention to people issues arising from the deal.
How you will benefit
This programme is highly interactive and collaborative with an added focus on peer learning. It also seeks to promote deep discussion on South Africa/African M&A issues. At the end of the programme you will be able to:
- Explain typical reasons underlying M&A;
- Link M&A to general corporate strategy;
- Understand regulatory and legal requirements for M&A deals;
- Improve success in deals;
- Understand the deal process;
- Value the target company;
- Incorporate synergies into the deal evaluation;
- Work effectively with advisors;
- Identify key risks;
- Structure deals to protect value;
- Negotiate assertively; and
- Begin to understand post-merger integration.
Key focus areas:
M&A strategy: Rationale for acquisition(s);
- Search for targets;
- Initial discussions;
- Detailed analysis (including valuation);
- Due diligence;
- Legal agreements; and
- Regulatory approvals.
Post M&A integration:
- PR (internal & external); and
- Post merger integration (people, infrastructure & branding).
Who should attend
This programme is designed for CEOs, functional directors, executives, members of audit committees, general managers, senior managers and heads of functional areas who want to gain insight into the mergers and acquisitions (M&A) process, with a view to increasing the chances of success of deals in which they are involved.