Who should attend
This programme is for mid-level and senior managers with strategic, marketing or commercial responsibilities. Participants generally have at least 10 years of work experience in marketing or other fields in a firm that serves end-consumers, retailers, industrial buyers, governments, NGOs or other stakeholders, and:
- Want to boost their and their team’s contribution to the organisation’s business strategy and its results
- Have the ambition to deliver a superior level of performance
- Are eager to work intensively with other like-minded professionals attending the programme
Sample of positions held by recent participants:
- Channel Managers
- Product Manager
- Sales managers
- Relationship Managers
- Account Managers
- Marketing Managers
- Brand Strategy Managers
- Marketing strategy & planning managers
- Heads of Brand Management
- Trade Marketing Managers
- Business Development Managers
- Heads of Strategic Projects
- Commercial planning managers
- Non-Marketing Managers who wish to understand the nature of marketing
About the course
In response to the slump in demand and decreased sales arising from the COVID-19 induced economic recession, many marketing teams have had their budgets slashed and their resources cut, thereby making the marketing function ineffective. This, together with the volatility in the marketplace and the constantly changing customer needs, present managers responsible for a variety of marketing activities with the difficulty of developing the most effective strategic marketing approaches during this recession.
There are a variety of factors that influence the appropriateness of specific marketing strategies for a company. These include the overall objective of the strategy, the availability of human and financial resources to implement the strategy, the geographical scope being considered and the elasticity of demand in the marketplace, to name a few. Common to all strategies is that some kind of payback is required, in that every strategy should seek to provide a return on investment.
- Analyse and understand customer engagement strategies, especially during the raging economic recession
- Discuss a variety of philosophies and orientations that drive or influence marketing management decisions during a recessionary period
- Analyse a variety of marketing management challenges in a recession and discuss the strategic responses to these challenges
- Underscore the numerous market penetration strategies adoptable in a recessionary economy
- Learn effective pricing strategies and return on investment in a recession
- Analyse market segmentation and positioning strategies in a weak economy
- Highlight a variety of ethical issues in marketing
- Analyse a variety of strategic marketing issues in distribution
- Discuss a variety of product strategies in a recession
- Analyse a variety of brand strategies in a plummeting sales season
- Discuss customer engagement in a recession
- Marketing philosophy in a recessionary economy
- Customer engagement in a recession
- Marketing challenges and strategic responses in a recession
- Product strategy in a recession: which product? which market?
- Effective pricing and return on investment in a recession
- Market segmentation and positioning in a recessionary economy
- Strategic issues in distribution
- Ethical issues in marketing
- Brand power in a plummeting sales season
- Market penetration in a recession
- Customer engagement in a recession: strategies, channels and tools
- Marketing planning and development in a recession
Key Learning Outcomes
The programme will provide you with new marketing concepts and a framework for winning in tough markets. You will
- Boost your thinking about strategic marketing in an economic recession and understand how to create and capture more value
- Gain insights into segmentation and positioning strategies in a recession and how these can aid value
- Co-create outstanding customer experiences through customer engagement, especially during the recession
- Meet the challenge of marketing planning and branding and understand how critical decisions are made during a recessionary economy
Dr. Tayo Otubanjo is a senior lecturer at Lagos Business School. He facilitates full-time and executive MBA modules in marketing management. He is a Visiting Research Fellow at Warwick Business School, University of Warwick (UK) and a Visiting Scholar at Spears School of Business, Oklahoma State ...
She started her career at Citibank Nigeria and spent approximately 14 years in the nation’s financial sector during which she garnered experience in strategy, product development, sales and marketing,customer serviceand customer relationship management, cultural change management, amongst others....
Dr Uchenna Uzo joined LBS in February 2002. He received his B.Sc and M.Sc in Sociology from the University of Lagos, and his Masters of Research in Management as well as PhD in Management from the IESE Business School, Barcelona. He is a member and reviewer of the Academy of Management and also ...
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.