Why does one firm perform better than another? How can a firm maintain its competitive advantage over time?
Specifically, this course focuses on an understanding of the concepts, processes, players, and institutions in the strategic business environment. Managers can begin to develop and implement effective business and corporate-level strategies through external (industry-level) and internal (firm-level) analyses.
- Understand the concepts processes, players, and institutions in your strategic business environment.
- Learn how to develop effective strategies through industry and firm level analyses.
- Analyze the internal and external environments of the firm through a SWOT analysis.
- Understand the types and implementation of business and corporate-level strategies.
- Distinguish the benefits and drawbacks of strategic implementation vehicles (e.g., mergers, acquisitions, takeovers, and more.)
- Discuss current issues related to corporate governance.
- Explain biases associated with strategic planning and strategic decision making.
Includes all program materials, snacks, meals, and parking.
Who should attend
Individual contributors and managers alike.
Enhance your ability to set and reach strategic and economic goals by equipping yourself with methods and frameworks proven to be successful.
Develop the skills and strategies to make strategic decisions and execute with confidence company-wide. Establish a solid foundation in managing strategically by reviewing current industry, corporate, divisional and product strategy frameworks. Apply these techniques through a series of in class simulations, case studies and current scenarios. Gain an in-depth knowledge of contemporary strategic frameworks and tools along with the skill to apply them immediately in your current work environment.
Develop the skills and strategies to make high-level decisions and to execute with confidence company-wide.
Two-Day Concentrated Program
Registration begins at 8:00 a.m. and class runs 8:30 – 4:30 both days with a one-hour networking lunch included.
Enjoy proximity to the vibrancy of the campus and downtown Austin, and the innovative, business-friendly environment of the city.
- Examine the strategic management process
- Recognize the major frameworks of industry, corporate, divisional and product strategies
- Uncover how industry, corporate, and economic drivers affect strategy
- Educate your staff and line managers in applying strategy in day-to-day decision making
- Identify the strategic forces affecting your business and how to leverage them
- Discover how to perceive products, processes and firms to enhance your competitive advantage
- Utilize strategy management tools for successful implementation
- Industry, Corporate and Divisional Strategies
- Porter’s Five Forces
- Porter’s Business Unit and Generic Strategies
- SWOT Analysis
- Product Strategies
- Product Life Cycles
- GE's Business Screen
- Christensen’s Innovator’s Dilemma
- Value Chain Analysis