Who should attend
The programme is well suited for executives who have been successful in a narrower set of countries or functional areas and are now expanding their focus to include multiple functional areas, sectors, countries, or regions on the continent.
It is also highly appropriate for decision-makers managing transition processes at state-owned enterprises, and for the founders of established entrepreneurial ventures.
About the course
Strategic Perspectives and Leadership Development for African Executives
Succeeding in Africa’s rapidly evolving business environment requires strategic vision, exceptional leadership skills, and the confidence to manage continuous change. Markets on the continent are becoming increasingly integrated while the global economy becomes more volatile, policy uncertainties pose continual challenges, and organisations must reevaluate their approaches in the face of changing technologies and diversifying workforces.
To help their teams and firms thrive in these shifting landscapes, African business leaders must gain new perspectives, hone their strategic insights, and improve their ability to develop and manage high-performing teams.
Offered in partnership with the ALU Scool of Business in Rwanda, the Strategic Leadership in Africa is designed for African executives seeking relevant, practical insights for navigating these changes. This unique programme integrates cutting-edge insights into leadership and team-building with deep knowledge, experience and research on the challenges and opportunities of doing business in Africa.
Participants will leave the programme with skills and insights that will help them think more broadly about strategy, context, and risk-management - in their own countries and across the continent - as well as with enhanced leadership skills for building and managing high-performing teams and organisations.
How you benefit
- Develop a profound understanding of the competitive context and business environment in Africa
- Enhance your leadership skills and ability to work in and run high-performing teams
- Gain practical insights and immediately apply them to challenges within your organisation
- Benefit from peer-to-peer support and networking opportunities
- Learn from real cases studies of African business, gaining new insights from the authors and new perspectives from other participants
- Deepen your learning with optional opportunities to review (or learn) topics in economics and finance
Strategic Leadership in Africa uses a diverse and highly practical approach, using real case studies and examples drawn from Africa, or relevant to Africa, as well as simulations, discussions, reflections and peer-to-peer learning.
The two programme Faculty each have twenty years of experience in Africa, as well as accomplished records teaching management in Africa, global strategy, and leadership at INSEAD and other global business schools. Between them they have worked in, or done research on, more than two dozen countries on the continent. They bring this experience and expertise into the programme to ensure you are given cutting-edge insights into doing business on the African continent.
Understanding Strategic Challenges in Africa
- Business model innovation: designing and thinking for value creation
- Enhancing strategic agility
- Managing change and innovation
- Anticipating risk in Africa
- Building High-Performing
Building High-Performing Teams in Diverse Environments
- Developing a team view of business challenges
- Managing across borders, cultures and contexts
Understanding the Context of Business in Africa
- Politics and economic volatility in an African setting
- Africa in a globalising economy
Developing Leadership Skills for a Changing World
- Leadership approaches for building engagement
- Compelling approaches to communication
- Understanding influence and authority
Loïc Sadoulet is Affiliate Professor of Economics at INSEAD, and Visiting Professor at CEDEP. Loïc holds a PhD in Economics from Princeton University. He has been teaching at INSEAD since 2000 in Executive Development Programmes, MBA and Executive-MBA programmes. His MBA and E-MBA teaching cove...
Catherine Duggan is Professor of Management and Political Economy and Vice Dean for Strategy and Research at the African Leadership University (ALU), Rwanda. Prior to joining ALU, she was a professor at Harvard Business School (HBS) for nearly a decade, teaching courses on political economy and l...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.