Strategic Leaders Programme (ilm Level 7)
This qualification is a new style of programme aimed at engaging senior managers and leaders in analysing and researching aspects of their leadership and or management role or work which engages, fascinates or even drives them mad!
In exploring and researching the issues you will gain the ILM 7 Certificate in Leadership and Management through completing our 30 credit postgraduate module Evidencing Work Based Learning in Leadership and Change, which can then be used towards postgraduate qualifications here at UWE Bristol.
This highly participative and work based programme allows you to undertake a range of work based learning activities while applying theoretical material and research in order to develop your effectiveness in your role and workplace. This enables you to explore a range of leadership and change situations developing an in-depth understanding and knowledge of both the practical and theoretical issues linked to leadership and change in organisations.
The programme is about enabling the learner to explore, analyse and discover the knowledge in order to solve every day challenges in leading, managing and leading change
What does it cover?
The programme consists of an introduction to ILM as an organisation and to the ILM level 7 Leadership and Management qualification and academic study, followed by a series of one day or half day workshops held on a monthly basis which will consist of:
- participation in learning sets
- group critical review of relevant academic papers and texts
- peer presentations
- learning events
- library sessions
- review tutorials
ILM has designed the programme on the following principles:
- Enquiry-based approach, shift from "knowing" to 'knowing how to find out"
- The learner adopts an evidence based approach, knows about data
- "Robust, evidence based investigation" which can be defined as "rigorous and action centred enquiry"
- "The Level 7 thinking" must be put into practice
- The context, the current work situation, of the learning determines the nature of the learning, what is and how it is found out, how it is applied, and how both the finding out and the impact are evidenced
What do I get out of it?
- Continuing professional development in leadership, management and leading change
- Know how to use an enquiry led evidence based approach to develop your leadership and management capability
- Develop and enhance your personal approach
- Develop, implement and evaluate high-level, strategic, business cases
- Embed your leadership and management development in real work
- Work with and gain support from like minded people with experience in a wide range of sectors
- Gain access to latest research and literature on leadership, management and change
Benefits for employers
- Senior leaders and managers who have the ability to think and act strategically
- Senior leaders and managers who make informed evidence based decisions
- Motivated staff who can create and maintain a high performance culture
- Senior team members who are self-aware and take responsibility for self-development
What commitment do I have to make?
The demands of this programme are:
- Attending the academic module at UWE, Frenchay Campus, Bristol
- Time commitment - as a guide, UWE recommends 300 hours study time per a 30-credit postgraduate module (this includes class time, self-study and assignment writing)Studying and writing academic assignments and reflections to strict deadlines
- Completing your programme assessment
- You will be required to use our electronic BlackBoard system to access course materials and information.
We encourage participants to manage their own reading and are happy to supply a list of recommend texts on request.
On successful completion of your qualification you will be invited to join us at our ILM award celebration event to collect your certificate and celebrate your achievement.
This programme will require you to submit a presentation in the workplace supported by a 3,000-4,000 word paper which summarises the processes and discusses the learning achieved. By successfully completing the assessment, you will achieve both the:
ILM Level 7 Certificate in Leadership and Management and
30 credit postgraduate level Evidencing Work-Based Learning in Leadership and Change module
You will be given specific deadlines to submit your assignment. On successful completion of this assessment participants will receive their ILM Certificate and an overall module mark for the UWE module credits. This module may then be used towards a selection of our Master's level programmes.
Who should attend
This Level 7 vocational qualification is designed for senior managers and leaders seeking to develop themselves as professionals, who recognise they must satisfy various stakeholders and who want to invest in their own personal approach.
The programme is designed for self motivated leaders and managers who wish to proactively develop their careers and education while at the same time seeking to resolve issues within their workplace for the benefit of the organisation.
In the words of ILM level 7 managers and leaders:
- Develop themselves - by participating in leadership and managing development and managing their personal brand
- Change things - and in doing so have to present evidence based arguments for change, construct various business cases, lead change implementation, take people with them, satisfy various stakeholders
- Manage day to day operations and activities, seek to make best use of their resources, align with and enact strategic priorities, develop and maintain high performance cultures