Who should attend
Creative Strategy (Online): Using Strategic Intuition to Solve Complex Challenges is designed for executives at all levels who are involved in strategic planning, innovation, creative design, product development, marketing and other idea-generating functions.
About the course
Businesses are very invested in innovation and creativity, but these pursuits fail when they are isolated from traditional business analysis, strategy, and problem-solving. The pace of disruption today requires businesses to integrate creativity and strategy so that innovations are aligned with company core capabilities and strategies, so that the outcomes of innovation work move beyond the doors of the creativity playroom, and so that teams involved stop thinking of innovation as an extracurricular but not essential part of their work processes.
Led by Professor Bill Duggan and experienced Strategy& Director Amy Murphy, Creative Strategy (Online): Strategic Intuition to Solve Complex Challenges brings you exclusive tools to enhance and systematize the idea generation process and develop powerful ideas that you can turn into growth strategies for your organization.
Over ten weeks, participants will learn the science and method of strategic intuition through more than 20 videos, facilitated online discussion boards, readings, projects, and more. Participants will interact with faculty, course facilitators, and peers from around the world. All program content and materials will be available for two months following the program. The suggested time commitment for this program is approximately four hours per week.
Creative Strategy (Online): Strategic Intuition to Solve Complex Challenges will provide an uncommon and effective framework for strategic idea generation and present practical tools to analyze business problems, see how others throughout history have solved similar issues, and generate original and aligned solutions to your complex business challenges.
By the end of this program, you will be able to:
- Understand how strategic intuition has been used throughout history to come up with new solutions
- Assess your and your team’s capacity for strategic intuition
- Identify and address the potential obstacles to innovation at your organization
- Distinguish between an innovation challenge and business problems that simply need expertise
- Generate inspiring solutions that are aligned with business strategy, enhanced by the newest ideas on the market and differentiated from your competitors
- Use a new methodology to generate ideas and combinations of ideas to strategically solve complex business challenges
Creative Strategy (Online): Strategic Intuition to Solve Complex Challenges is a ten-module journey to enhance your idea generation capabilities by understanding how creative insights come about in the brain, through learning the Strategic Intuition methodology and by applying it to your own complex business challenges.
Each module features lectures, insight boards assignments, and faculty feedback. To earn a Certificate of Completion, Merit, or Achievement, you must submit a mix of program assignments, assessments, and reflections. The program concludes June 30, 2017, and you will have two weeks after the program to submit assignments and a final project.
The program includes the following:
- More than 20 video lectures by Professor Duggan with supportive presentation materials
- Step by step instructional videos by Amy Murphy to help you strategically align your creative idea generation process with your business problem solving to move beyond traditional best practices and expertise
- Coaching cams from an experienced practitioner to help you overcome obstacles in your problem solving
- Opportunities to share insights and collaborate on group projects with peers around the world
- Self assessments
- Group and independent study projects
- Summative weekly commentary and feedback from program faculty and staff
- A learning journal for reflection and personal application
- Two months of access to materials after the program concludes
- Week 1: Program Kick Off and Orientation
- Week 2: The Science of Strategic Intuition
- Week 3: Presence of Mind and Examples from History
- Week 4: Introduction to Creative Combination and More Examples from History
- Week 5: Introduction to the Insight Matrix [Idea Box]
- Week 6: Rapid Appraisal: Identifying and Refining Elements
- Week 7: What Works Scan: Searching for Precedents
- Week 8: Creative Combination Practice
- Week 9: The GLeaM Tool
- Week 10: Program Conclusion and Final Project
William Duggan is the author of three recent books on innovation: Strategic Intuition: The Creative Spark in Human Achievement (2007); Creative Strategy: A Guide for Innovation (2012); and The Seventh Sense: How Flashes of Insight Change Your Life (2015). In 2007 the journal Strategy+Business na...
Amy Murphy is a director at Strategy& (formerly Booz & Company, now part of the PwC network) and has been with the firm since 2012. She advises clients on the topics of innovation, strategy, and capability development. Amy received her Bachelor in Architecture from Cornell University and ...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.