About the course
Create and Grow High-Performing HR Teams Through Intention, Interaction, and Influence
In HR, we are often responsible for engaging and developing our employees. In many cases, we lead initiatives that provide real value to our organizations. Yet, there is a lack of dedicated development for HR leaders, despite our responsibilities or the partnerships we have with other leaders. We think you deserve more than that, and our research backs us up.
As someone who formally or informally manages a team, or who helps clients manage their team performance, you recognize that leadership is about more than submitting performance reviews and tracking team metrics. It’s about enabling team members to work effectively together and achieve results. It’s also about displaying the right leadership behaviors that increase your credibility, influence, and impact.
In this course, you’ll discover what makes teams effective and how to apply these practices to the vital HR leadership role you currently play or want to play in the future. You’ll receive practical tools that you can use right away to bring your team’s or your own performance to a new level.
- Assess Your Team Leadership Skills – Identify opportunities to upskill by applying practical tools and techniques.
- Connect Teams to a Larger Purpose – Foster a sense of purpose by explaining the link between your team's work the organization's strategy.
- Intentionally Design Teams – Design teams with a clear purpose and unambiguous expectations.
- Optimize Team Interaction – Develop skills and behaviors in your team that allow for positive dynamics and productivity.
- Influence Outcomes – Grow your influence by building relationships, evaluating outcomes, and exhibiting leadership behaviors.
Part 1: Intention - Communicating Team Purpose and Setting Clear Expectations
- Defining HR Leadership
- HR Leadership’s Pivotal Role
- The Three I’s in Effective Teams: Intention, Interaction, and Influence
- A Shared Purpose
- Building trust with a team
- Communicating purpose
- Understanding and articulating the business strategy and the team’s purpose
- Strategic alignment in team design
- Keeping expectations clear
- Drafting a team charter
Part 2: Intention - Designing Teams
- Competencies for roles
- Mapping talent to roles
- Leveraging diversity and acting inclusively
- Mitigating unconscious bias
- Solutions to fill roles on a team
- Build/buy/borrow planning chart
- Being intentional when you inherit a team
Part 3: Interaction - Fostering Empowerment and a Team Mindset
- Empowering the team to choose methods for accomplishing goals
- Fostering a team mindset
- Growing a team mindset
- Empowerment to participate: Building psychological safety
Part 4: Interaction - Promoting Continuous Learning and Feedback
- Promoting continuous learning and feedback
- Developing teams
- Why train teams?
- Matching training to team needs
- Workplace learning today/sources of learning
- Identifying learning opportunities for teams
- Reinforcing learning
- Providing continuous feedback
- Coaching as a follow-up to feedback
Part 5: Influence - Leveraging Relationships and Forming Connections
- Leveraging relationships within and outside the team
- Forming stronger connections with team members
- Formal and informal networks
- Barriers to relationship-building
- Expanding networks
Part 6: Influence - Evaluating Outcomes and Modeling the Right Behaviors
- Evaluating outcomes and behaviors
- How organizations measure success
- Individual, team, and organizational measures
- Reward and recognition
- Modeling the right behaviors
- Team leader responsibilities
- Assessing yourself
- Action planning
Videos and materials
Read more about Human Capital Management
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.