Who should attend
- Administrative & Support
- Supervisors, Executive, & Emerging Managers
- New Managers
About the course
Speaking clearly is an essential life skill. However, in our multi-lingual society, many infuse English with Chinese dialects, Malay and Tamil both at the formal workplace and in informal settings. This can lead to a lower proficiency in spoken English which may affect self-esteem and organisation image.
In this programme, you will learn the features of standard pronunciation, right vocabulary and correct grammar for spoken English at the workplace. This will help to identify and correct common errors. You will also apply practical strategies and use good resources as a follow-up to self-improvement and building confidence.
Benefits to You
Participants will speak more clearly and confidently. This will result in more effective communication among all stakeholders, and better image and higher productivity for the organisation.
- Identify and correct common errors in speaking
- Be able to code switch in different settings
- Use correct grammar structures in speaking
- Use standard spoken English sounds
- Apply strategies to improve speaking
- A dictionary will be included
Importance of speaking clearly at the workplace
- Singlish vs Standard English words
- Wrong usage of words
- Use of particles “lah”, “leh”, “lor”, “meh”, “hor”
- Code switch in context
- Plural markers
- Present and past tense markers
- “Be” verb omission
- Preposition issues
- Question forms
- IPA phonetic transcription
- Common consonant and vowel sounds
- Word stress and schwa sound
- Silent letters
Strategies and resources for better spoken English
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.