Social Field Research Summer School
Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with Presencing Institute.Full disclaimer.
The Presencing Institute was founded in 2006 in order to create an action research platform at the intersection of science, consciousness, and profound social change. The foundational assumptions of this work can be summarized in three sentences:
- You cannot understand a system unless you change it (Kurt Lewin).
- You cannot change a system unless you transform consciousness.
- You cannot transform consciousness unless you make the system sense and see itself
An integral part of our u.school vision, the inaugural Social Field Research Summer School brings together leading awareness-based action researchers from around the globe and across generations to explore the role of research in ecosystem transformation as a powerful tool to help a system to see and sense itself.
Our intention is to initiate a global network of researchers who, over the next decade, will advance the field of awareness-based action research by co-developing the concepts, methods, tools and frames needed to illuminate and catalyze the evolution of social fields. We are looking for partners to join us in bringing this intention to reality.
While a considerable body of knowledge has emerged around group, organizational and system change, little of that work addresses the deepest dimension of social change – our collective awareness. Likewise, while we have developed a great deal of understanding about individual change, there remains a relative void in the research methodology for understanding collective experience at its deepest level. We aim to make visible the invisible by developing the methodologies needed to see, articulate and shift the deep structure of social fields. Our explicit emphasis is on research that has immediate, practical application for those working to effect social change.
We seek to bring together 1st, 2nd and 3rd person perspectives on social field evolution that include, but are not limited to, these fields of practice:
- 1st person – microphenomonology, qualitative and/or grounded theory interviews, autoethnography
- 2nd person –Social Presencing Theatre, Generative Scribing and other social arts, Participative Action Research
- 3rd person – quantitative approaches, standardized instruments, physiological measurement
- The format of the summer school allows participants to share their work and also to engage in a process that deepens that work and connects projects and participants.
We aim to integrate communities not presently connected, linking researchers to practitioners and projects, and newer research practitioners to more seasoned ones. In doing so, our intention is to not only amplify individual projects, but also our collective capacity to bring into being the field of awareness-based social field research.
Who should attend
We invite applications from:
- researchers leading and co-shaping significant projects in awareness-based action research. We encourage graduate and post-doctoral students with such projects to apply.
- reflective practitioners currently engaged in awareness-based systems change.
- individuals who bring unique methodologies to the study of social field change.
- To apply please read the above carefully and then click "Register" on the top right of this page.