Who should attend
- Supervisors, managers and elected or appointed officials at all levels in federal, provincial, local, regional and indigenous government agencies
- Leaders of non-government organizations interested in enhancing their personal and organizational effectiveness
About the course
Foster the flexibility needed to lead in challenging times
The global pandemic and its economic impacts are creating profound challenges for public sector leaders. The ever-shifting conditions often require them to turn on a dime, in order to minimize dire outcomes and cultivate new opportunities for healthy change.
Dynamic times call for an adaptive leadership approach, and Situational Leadership is perhaps the most flexible of all. By incorporating many different leadership techniques, it enables leaders to take stock of their environment and their team, balance the many variables, and select the style best suited to meet their objectives and conditional needs.
Designed for public sector leaders, this online program will help you sharpen your Situational Leadership tool kit. Acquire concepts and tools for addressing the real-time matters you are facing now. Modify your leadership style to navigate a constantly evolving strategic, interpersonal and workplace landscape. Open up your problem-solving options, and promote the wellness and adaptability of people.
Day One: Internal Situations
- Understanding the public service ethos
- Assessing workplace pressures within government/nonprofit agencies
- Differentiating task and people-oriented leadership approaches
- Dealing with dysfunctional individual behaviours and performance
- Clarifying expectations with subordinates and teams
- Leading effective teams and group processes
- Developing preventive and remedial workplace strategies
Day Two: External Situations
- Navigating the public service eco-sytem
- Scanning significant influences on government/nonprofit agencies
- Diagnosing organizational and community resiliency risks
- Selecting critical strategic imperatives
- Identifying relevant stakeholders and partners
- Applying social innovation techniques to strategic processes
- Finding sustainable and realistic solutions
Gordon McIntosh has 37 years of management, educator and consultancy roles with local government. As President of the Local Government Leadership (LGL) Institute, he provides governance development, strategic facilitation and leadership training services. He has conducted 1,200 workshops involv...
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.