Shipping Strategies in A Changing Landscape
Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with CBS Executive.Full disclaimer.
Although shipping has been a vibrant industry for centuries, the changes in the global business and social landscape, brought on by the 4th industrial revolution, are causing many old truisms in the industry to fail.
During these two days we will take a closer look at the nature of the underlying changes, dive deeper into how this affects the shipping industry and understand why this is not a threat to the industry as a whole – but very clearly presents an existential threat to companies which fail to adapt to the changes.
And whilst the changes will clearly provide multiple threats, they are equally opening a range of new strategic opportunities – both for existing stakeholders such as shipping lines, brokers, ports etc. as well as for new emerging players, especially in the digital realm. The opportunities abound for large players and niche players alike must be embraced and harnessed.
Day 1: 09:00-16:00:
- What is meant to be “a threat” to shipping? Who is being threatened?
- What is meant to be a “niche” in shipping – and will the niche market grow or shrink?
- What are the conceptual new opportunities arising?
- Understanding the different timelines of change
- What is the 4th industrial revolution – and how does it impact the shipping industry?
- Opportunities arising from the 4th industrial revolution
Day 2: 09:00-16:00:
- Threats and opportunities stemming from environmental and CSR developments
- The increasing importance of Human Resources in a digital environment
- Developing a detailed TOWS analytical framework to identify viable strategies in shipping
- Which elements of shipping are most likely to be rendered obsolete?
- Which elements of shipping are most likely to be strengthened?
- What should companies in shipping do in the coming years to be on the “winning” side?
As a result of attending this programme participants will:
- Gain a theoretical framework to assess and develop their own strategy
- Understand the nature of the external forces pushing the industry
- Identify where the opportunities lie in order to, not only survive but to strengthen their position
Who should attend
This 2-day programme will provide both maritime business managers and leaders with a comprehensive overview of the changing strategic landscape in shipping, how to identify and capitalize on new opportunities as well as spot and mitigate new threats.