Who should attend
This programme is ideal for (but not limited to):
- Sustainability Managers/ Directors
- Corporate Affairs Managers/ Directors
- Strategist – Senior/ Middle Management
- Compliance Officers
- Planning Officers
- Operations Manager/ Directors
- Small Enterprises Management
- General Managers
- Regional Managers
- Procurement Managers/ Directors
- Resource Manager/Director
- CFOs/ CMOs
About the course
Globally, the role of business in society is being questioned. Once seen as the generators of jobs and wealth, companies are increasingly seen as harming people and the environment through a narrow focus on profits. Clients, regulators, employees and investors are asking businesses to contribute to solving the social and environmental challenges worldwide. On our continent, the same applies. What should business leaders do? Corporate social responsibility initiatives are no longer seen as enough. Shared value is a management strategy in which companies find business opportunities in social problems. This three-day course shows you how to rethink combining profit and social impact. Learn how the powerful and fast-growing Shared Value approach can help your company mitigate risk and improve your company’s value to society, as it has for companies across our continent and beyond.
Strathmore University Business School in partnership with The Shared Value Africa Initiative (SVAI), is offering a three-day course designed to introduce the concept of creating Shared Value to African businesses, government bodies, non-profit organisations and other institutions on the continent.
Through combining theory framework, local and international case studies and interactive discussion, the course:
- Delves into real-world African Shared Value case studies for practical examples of implementation
- Provides exercises to show delegates the Shared Value approach to business strategy
- Gives delegates a well-rounded understanding of the Shared Value business model as it can be applied to a variety of industries
Key Focus Areas
- The business benefits of adopting the Shared Value business model
- How companies across Africa and beyond have implemented measures to contribute to the achievement of relevant SDGs, thereby securing a social license to operate
- How to talk about the financial and social value your company is creating
- How Shared Value enables businesses to attract investment and build partnerships through a global network of organisations actively solving social problems while generating financial profit
- The mindset shift you need – from ‘charity’ to addressing social issues which intersect with your core business, enabling profit with purpose
Key Learning Outcomes
By the end of the training, you will be in a position to:
- Understand the theory behind the Shared Value framework
- Differentiate between Shared Value, philanthropy, corporate social responsibility, and other related buzzwords
- Understand how companies have used Shared Value to address a social issue while benefiting their organisation
- Motivate the adoption of Shared Value strategies to company management and the C-Suite
- Communicate and collaborate more effectively with your business’s stakeholders
- Craft a purpose statement for your organisation that will guide the development of Shared Value strategy and its implementation
The programme will be delivered using a Participant/ learner-centred approach in which a combination of methods will be used i.e.
- Interactive classroom sessions
- Case study analysis
- Experience Sharing Workshop: Business priority challenge project progress presentation to stakeholders
- Guest speakers and mentoring companies sharing best practices
Dr. Mumbi Maria Wachira is a full-time accounting lecturer at Strathmore University Business School, Nairobi. She obtained both her Bachelor of Commerce (BCom) and Master of Commerce (MCom) degrees at Strathmore University, and her Ph.D. at the University of St. Gallen in Switzerland. Her researc...
Martin Mbaya serves as the Director of Executive Education at Strathmore Institute of Public Policy and Governance. He teaches, undertakes research, consults, and grows enterprises with a focus on Public Policy, Digital Learning, and Trade. Martin is a Founding Director of Utawala Applied Researc...
Hugh Foley is an expert in corporate responsibility, shared value, multi-sector partnerships, and philanthropic strategy. Hugh has advised corporate and philanthropic leaders around the world on programmes and investments that deliver measurable results for both business and society. Over the las...
As the Founder and CEO of Shift Social Development and the Founder and CEO of the Shared Value Africa Initiative, Tiekie Barnard is driven by her passion for the Shared Value Business concept. After a successful 22-year career in Advertising and Marketing, Tiekie decided that she wanted to make a...
Immaculata Segooa has recently completed her MBA focusing on the Shared Value business model, which encapsulates her firm belief in the need for business to utilise its profit-making operations to address social challenges. She is a business professional, with over 25 years’ experience in Marketi...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.