Make sure this course is right for you.
Get unbiased reviews and personalized recommendations.
About the course
This course has been designed to cover the most important aspects of settlements and describe the whole process, from decision making to purchasing or selling a security, to actual settlement and safekeeping. It examines the way in which cross-border transactions are settled in the major markets, the players who operate in it and the instruments that need to be settled. It will also examine the changes taking place in the industry. With its emphasis and focus on the practicalities of settling trades, this course is a must for new entrants in this area.
This course is packed with group discussions and practical workshops on the relationships with the counterparties and on explaining the high level process flow from trade to settlement for equities, bonds and derivatives. Delegates will also produce a take-home detailed overview of the clearing and settlement environment including key players, processes and issues.
How You Will Learn
- Real-world examples and case studies will reinforce the theory taught on the course
- The role of the settlements department
- Settlement conventions and how they differ by security class in major markets
- Pre-settlement and settlement processes
- Global custody - core services and value-added services
- Common types of corporate actions and the growing importance of proxy voting
- Introduction to Settlement
- The Role of the Exchanges and Clearing Houses
- The Role of the Operations Team
- Settlement Conventions
- Settlement Processes in Detail
- Introduction to Global Custody and Derivatives Clearing
- Global Custody – Core Services
- Global Custody – Value-Added Services
- Corporate Actions
- Overview of Operational Risk
- Road Maps 1 - Explaining the relationships with the counterparties dealt with in the settlement of a typical trades on and off exchange – equities – debt – derivatives
- Road Maps 2 - Explaining the high level process flow from trade to settlement for – equities – bonds – derivatives Describing the margin call process Understanding the basics of collateral management
- Wrap-up Workshop - Delegates will produce a detailed overview of the clearing and settlement environment including key players, processes and issues for a new hire in the audit department
The course director has been involved in the financial markets for over 30 years during which time he has worked in a variety of roles within fund management, operations, and investment banking.His experience covers both front office and operations functions, having held positions as Director of ...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.