About the course
As the landscape for art expands, the contemporary art market’s unprecedented growth calls for a more in-depth look at the central role of the gallery. This course explores the high stakes world of art galleries, integrating real-world examples with critical thinking around topics that shape the gallery business. Running a Contemporary Gallery equips those considering a career in the field with practical knowledge of the day-to-day functioning and the strategic operations of a gallery, including managing artists and clients, preparing for and participating in art fairs, negotiating relationships with other players in the art market, and marketing through online channels.
Students will learn:
- To identify and define the role of a gallery within the art market.
- To identify and define how galleries operate, and to recognize the factors that impact success, such as artistic programming and artist management.
- To assess and analyze the opportunities and challenges faced by contemporary art galleries.
Week 1: Uncovering The Basics
- Historical Perspective
- The Dealers
- Primary vs. Secondary Markets
- Gallery Structure
Week 2: Artistic Program
- Identifying the artistic ‘brand’
- Attracting & retaining talent
- Negotiating with and managing artists
Week 3: Stock
- Production & Managing artists’ demands
- Knowledge – what you need to know about artists and collectors
Week 4: Art Fairs
- Opportunities and challenges
- What to show where and how to show it
- Managing stock and expectations
Week 5: Driving Sales
- Building a strong sales team
- Pay: encouraging performance & preserving fair play.
- Developing new client relationships and loyalty
Week 6: Pinning Technology
- Offline versus online sales
- Creative ways to curate
- Case study
Emilie Faure works at the intersection of art sales and commercial strategy for artists. In her six years as Sales Executive at White Cube, she advised collectors on acquisitions with an eye on both curatorial relevance and long-term investment. She also worked closely with the gallery’s artists,...
Read more about Negotiations
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.