About the course
Our latest offering provides you the opportunity to participate in interactive conversations with fellow business professionals on key topics.
Using their years of experience working with leaders across industries and geographies, the Robins School's renowned faculty lead these educational sessions during which participants can share experiences, challenge perspectives, and gain new insights. Faculty roundtable facilitators bring lessons learned both in and out of the classroom to drive valuable learning among participants.
Richard Coughlan facilitates the first Robins Roundtable on Decision-Making with Purpose, a four-part series that examines You as a Decision-Maker, The Role of Values, How the Organizational Context Shapes Your Thinking, and Making it Stick. Learn more and join the inaugural series starting September 10.
In future months, our faculty experts will be facilitating Roundtables on other timely topics in a similar format. Do you have a topic to suggest? What are the practical challenges facing those in your role or your industry? If you could spend focused time learning practical tips in a facilitated conversation with a small group of professionals from other organizations, what topic would you want at the center of that discussion?
Series One: Decision-Making with Purpose
Do you realize the average adult makes 35,000 decisions per day? When was the last time you paused to consider how you are doing as a decision-maker?
Week 1: You as a Decision-Maker
- Examining the process you use to make choices
- Considering the impacts of time constraints and mental shortcuts
- Aiming to find a consistent approach that builds confidence
Week 2: The Role of Values
- Using values to guide decision-making
- Eliminating options and establishing priorities
- Anticipating tension among your values: Right vs right scenarios
Week 3: How the Organizational Context Shapes Your Thinking
- Aligning values with peers and leaders
- Building a values-based culture
- Reinforcing the values through the 4C Framework
Week 4: Making It Stick
- Creating the right kind of accountability
- Working hard to build trust
- Identifying specific next steps for lasting change
You will come away with a robust set of tools for being a better, more thoughtful decision-maker at work and at home.
Richard Coughlan is an award-winning educator who has delivered engaging talks to academic and professional audiences on three continents over the last 20 years. In addition to his role on the faculty at University of Richmond, he serves as a keynote speaker, strategic advisor, facilitator and co...
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.