Who should attend
Whether you operate a small family business, represent a massive bureaucracy, or run a non-profit, this program will provide tools for more careful and thorough hiring. Sample participants include:
- General managers and heads of companies who wish to follow proper hiring protocol, but who do not currently have an HR Team
- Non-HR managers without access to in-house recruitment training
- Team leaders/members who need to be aware of best practices when hiring, onboarding and building team talent
- Entrepreneurs launching a start-up
- Aspiring HR professionals who have not had a formal education in this part of the discipline
About the course
Hire the best person for the job
A company’s workforce can determine whether that organization thrives or perishes. Therefore, managers need to be able to hire the best talent available, and onboard them in a way that will motivate them to do their finest work.
This program is designed for non-HR managers who are involved in the hiring process, but who lack formal recruitment and selection training. Learn to select the people who best fit your company’s values and culture, as well as the job requirements. Onboard them in a way that inspires them to stay. Improve organizational performance through people, while setting both your staff and your company up for success.
Benefits for you
- Improve your ability to identify, screen, interview, evaluate and secure the best possible candidate
- Create a rigorous hiring process that follows proper legal and ethical guidelines
- Improve integration between hiring and organizational culture, by incorporating other important socialization methods (e.g. orientation)
- Strengthen organizational wisdom and retain talent by promoting from within
- Save your company time, effort and money through robust hiring practices
- What skills and values does the organization need to execute its strategy, fulfill its purpose and enhance its performance?
- Cognitive biases that get in the way of making good decisions
- Improving job descriptions
- Screening and testing: coming up with a short-list of candidates
- Interviewing skills
- Enhancing the candidate experience to keep applicants interested and polish your brand as an employer
- Complying with legal and human rights guidelines
- Succession planning
- Diversifying the applicant pool in order to benefit from creativity, innovation and unique perspectives
- Hiring for strategy and culture fit
This interactive program includes some role play to enhance your skill development.
It may be helpful to bring along a job description and a job ad, if your company has open positions.
Tracey Gurton has been lecturing in the Sauder School of Business at UBC for 6 years. During that time she has taught undergraduates, masters students in two faculties, and business executives. She has also taught in similar programs at Simon Fraser University and the British Columbia Institute o...
Videos and materials
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.