About the course
MSU’s Railway Management Certificate Program was established in 2007 and is the only North American program that covers the breadth and depth of the very complex railway industry from both a conceptual and practical viewpoint.
The program is aimed at individuals in the industry with the potential to become senior managers and leaders in their organizations. We draw participants from railroad operating companies (both freight and passenger), suppliers to the industry, shippers/customers, transit authorities, regulatory and representative bodies, to name a few.
Critical and topical subjects are covered in a classroom setting with interactive discussions and field trips to aid learning. These include railroad facilities, customers, suppliers, associations, and agencies. Group project work applies learning and develops teamwork skills.
The new modular structure comprises four week-long modules, each of which covers a specific area of the railway system and its management. A certificate in railway management will be awarded for successful completion of all four modules.
Participants are expected to have 3+ years’ experience in the industry, though senior level new entrants can be accommodated. There is no academic pre-requisite. This will be the program’s 17th session.
The program was developed by MSU Railway Management Program staff, evaluated and improved with Class I and Class II railroad education and training directors, as well as AAR, ASL&RRA, and FRA decision makers, and other railroad industry leaders. Subject matter experts for the program include distinguished railroad and transportation industry leaders and experienced MSU faculty.
Each module starts Monday at 7:30 am and runs through Friday noon. Accommodations are provided Sunday through Thursday nights. The following will be the structure and schedule for the 2020 Certificate Program.
- Module 1: Railway Business Administration
- Module 2: Railway Regulation, Safety & the Rail Industry
- Module 3: Railway Engineering and Technology
- Module 4: Railway Operations
- To utilize the best in adult learning practices, class size will be limited to twenty-five students. Places are still available.
- The price per participant for the 2020 certificate program (four modules) will be $17,500 with a $500 reduction for registration and program fees received by March 19, 2021.
- Discounts are also available for multiple participants from the same company.
- Single one week modules are offered. Can be taken individually, in any order.
- All prices include instructional materials, faculty and staff support, sleeping rooms, and daily breakfast and lunch. Transportation to and from the program, and dinner most nights are not included.
Videos and materials
Read more about Transportation and Logistics
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.